Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-03, 08:57 AM

Absolutely, Its always a bit of a risk when a builder has no reputation. But it's the same group of subs that work with all the builders.
Old 2019-05-09, 03:36 PM
Regular User

Just purchased a home with Caivan for 2020 move.

The prices of the homes were the most attractive thing given other similar homes were well near or over $500k. Their base standards aren’t horrendous but I agree that their upgrades are also crazy priced. Somethings I inquired price wise for I was so shocked, simple work even. So those things are niceties that I can do after move in.

I unfortunately did not know the size of the lots at the time of purchase, as in the spacing between the homes. We had asked how big the lots were and told, but clearly they are building right to the property lines because one row of homes I viewed had what barely looked like 2-3’ between them, with side windows.

It’s is very discouraging actually because buying a single family home was to get away from attached neighbours but this basically is the same thing. And if bothe houses had their AC put on those sides, it would make walking therougj near impossible. Not even sure how anyone could get fences or patio work done as no machine would likely get through.

I understand it’s a business and they try to cram whatever they can but it’s just disappointing too given it’s richmond and they’ve always been a littlest bigger on their lot sizes in general.

I guess this is the trade off for cheaper prices homes. I cannot speak to the actual quality of the builds though I would gather that it would be fairly similar to most of the other builders.

I also wasn’t a fan of a part of the basement as I thought there would be a small part for maybe drop down due to duct work but it’s not like that in one model we saw. Instead it was about 6’ of stipples ceiling, then about 2’ of drop down and then 1’ of stippled ceiling again. So it created this pointless space after the bulkhead, and they even bothered to put a ceiling light there. Quite pointless as the bulkhead blocks most of the light. Not sure if that was just THIS house or every model like it will be that way but if so I would almost just have them build the drop down bulkhead the full way. At least you don’t gave wasted space.

I have so seen people already occupying the neighbourhood so curious if any are here to discuss their outcome.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

——————————————————————
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2019-09-09, 10:17 PM

Hi Ottawa 613,

So far not overly impressed with them. They have delayed us until December. They left the house unwrapped and untouched at one point for 4 weeks in a semi framed state with no movement day to day. Also when it came to having home inspections they played hardball with allowing the home inspector onsite. Even the inspector was shocked. We shall see how the finished product is. Seems like they are having issues with keeping on schedule.
Old 2019-09-10, 09:51 AM
Regular User

I purchased a new build from them in their Barrhaven development... your post has me worried