Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-09-05, 08:40 AM
Regular User

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it. I will work with the builder (Minto) to get it addressed.

Embarrassingly, we have been in the house for 9 months already. However for the first four months the door was locked shut while we were awaiting grading, and since then it has been covered in tools while I worked on my deck. Last weekend was the first time we could really use the door.

According to the plans, the vent was indeed supposed to be on the other leaf of the door. My builder doesn't supply plans to owners, so the only copy of the plans I have is a picture I took while I was on an unsanctioned visit to the home during construction.
Old 2019-09-08, 03:38 PM
Regular User

Hi Phil,
1.Are baffles in attic required for proper ventilation of attic according to ontario building code or construction performance guidelines?
2. Is ventilation through soffit necessary for fireplace according to building code or construction performance guidelines?
This is for new build.
Thank you very much.
Old 2019-09-08, 04:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
1.Are baffles in attic required for proper ventilation of attic according to Ontario Building Code or construction performance guidelines?
Ventilation of insulated attic spaces is required by the Ontario Building Code, Part 9, Section 9.19.1. Ventilation is required at both the top and bottom of insulated attic spaces.

Quote:
2. Is ventilation through soffit necessary for fireplace according to building code or construction performance guidelines?
Most fireplace extensions do not have ventilation provided for the small attic spaces they have. I would have to see the configuration at your home to ensure this comment is accurate.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-09-08, 05:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
Ventilation of insulated attic spaces is required by the Ontario Building Code, Part 9, Section 9.19.1. Ventilation is required at both the top and bottom of insulated attic spaces.

Most fireplace extensions do not have ventilation provided for the small attic spaces they have. I would have to see the configuration at your home to ensure this comment is accurate.
Hi Phil,
1.Iam assuming then baffles are not necessary as long as roof vent ( top) and soffit is there . Am i correct?

2. I have attached my fire place extension picture.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4EA4D311-F8A9-4F3A-9935-CAEFFD96AE44.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	14714  
Old 2019-09-09, 10:22 AM
Regular User

For insulated attic spaces over finished areas, ventilation is required at both the top and bottom of the attic spaces. Upper roof vents, such as MaxiVents, mushroom vents, ridge vents, etc., handle air flow out of the attic space. At the periphery of the attic space, lower ventilation is provided through the holes in the soffit panels. From inside the attic, baffles are placed between the insulation and the roof sheathing to provide unrestricted air flow. Baffles are expected to be seen during an attic inspection, and can be seen located in the spaces between trusses. Most baffles are made either of plastic or cardboard designed for lower attic space ventilation. An exception is Mattamy and Glenview, which have used wooden baffles at fewer locations.

For the fireplace, the enclosed attic space is too small to accommodate ventilation, so what you are seeing is what is expected.

Old 2019-09-09, 06:06 PM
Regular User

Hi Phil,

Our house has two electronic outlets installed exterior (front and back). The front installed Self-Test GFCI Receptacle, but the back installed regular receptacle.

Our builder replied that "Yes the one in the back is on the load side of the front outlet.
Both are gfci protected. They work on the same circuit. Front outlet protects back yard outlet." Is it correct?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEV_8895-E.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	14715   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_181412.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	14716  

Last edited by Bon; 2019-09-09 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 2019-09-10, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
For insulated attic spaces over finished areas, ventilation is required at both the top and bottom of the attic spaces. Upper roof vents, such as MaxiVents, mushroom vents, ridge vents, etc., handle air flow out of the attic space. At the periphery of the attic space, lower ventilation is provided through the holes in the soffit panels. From inside the attic, baffles are placed between the insulation and the roof sheathing to provide unrestricted air flow. Baffles are expected to be seen during an attic inspection, and can be seen located in the spaces between trusses. Most baffles are made either of plastic or cardboard designed for lower attic space ventilation. An exception is Mattamy and Glenview, which have used wooden baffles at fewer locations.

For the fireplace, the enclosed attic space is too small to accommodate ventilation, so what you are seeing is what is expected.
Thanks Phil. Much appreciated.
Old 2019-09-10, 08:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
Our house has two electronic outlets installed exterior (front and back). The front installed Self-Test GFCI Receptacle, but the back installed regular receptacle.

Our builder replied that "Yes the one in the back is on the load side of the front outlet.
Both are gfci protected. They work on the same circuit. Front outlet protects back yard outlet." Is it correct?
He is most likely correct. You can verify by plugging something into the rear outlet and confirm that it works, then go to the front and trip the GFCI receptacle. Then go back to the rear outlet to verify that the power is off. A superior method would involve getting an outlet tester with a GFCI test button at a hardware store.