Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-08-30, 01:48 AM

Default Mattamy Parkside

Hi everyone

We just purchased the Parkside model in Half moon bay west, first time buyers.
It's gonna be delivered on 2021 long waiting time.
I'm worried about the backyard size if anyone got the same model could you please send me a picture shows the backyard size
Is it worth it to upgrade the second floor ceiling to 9" for about 10,000$
If there are any suggestions we will appreciate it
Old 2019-08-30, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Congrats on your purchase!

We are a Mattamy Phase 1 built 2009 (second owner) in Tuxford model and can share a few tips on your questions.

Backyard - you can easily find pics by checking the MLS listings in the area.

Not sure about the new phase but most backyards are quite "shallow" in HMB. Standard depth I believe is usually 82 ft, which is about 25% shorter than "avg". But for us it was not a big issue, it helped keep the cost of the house a bit lower vs comparables and there are lots of parks around. The way we saw it we don't have to maintain a big yard, and have unlimited access to parks. That being said, we ensured to buy a house that was very close to two very nice parks. Another thing we did, which was a little bonus not reflected in our price.....we bought a house that BACKS onto some very large houses on pie shaped lots, so they pay the big premium, but we still benefit from the added privacy and open space, and those homeowners all planted trees along the back of their yard (something we would not have space to do). When we were shopping around in the area we did find that a lot of the houses felt a bit crammed in the backyard in that the other houses are all so close and looming over with little privacy.

9 ft ceilings

We have this on every floor (even higher in basement), as well as upgraded 8 ft doors throughout the house. I would highly recommend both of these upgrades. It really does make the house feel a lot bigger and more open. So while our house has a similar "footprint" than many others in the area, similar to the Parkside model at around 2700-2900 sq ft depending how you measure, the cubic footage is quite a bit larger. The beauty of this is that it does not pull your property taxes up via MPAC's assessment as MPAC is blind to high ceilings UNLESS the room is a full two stories (16 ft). So the only variable cost is a bit higher heating/cooling costs.

I would also recommend the outdoor pot lights "under eavestrough"....this is another thing that helps the home stand out for resale value as not a lot of people go with it, mind you I am unaware of the cost. Also, get the bigger windows in bsmt and plumbing rough in for future bsmt finishing option.

There are lots of tips and tricks for navigating your walk throughs and inspections along the early goings but I will let someone else chime in there!

Hope this helps, best of luck!
Old 2019-09-02, 09:08 PM

Default Structural and Design Upgrades

Thank you so much for your informative responds, I appreciate it .
Our land depth is 88.3 ft and 36ft width

We decided to go with those structural upgrades (almost we get all the upgrades )
  • Super Landry o second (make Landry room bigger by removing one of the master bedroom WIC because there is already a big one and more than enough for us)
    Curved Stair Layout
    9 ft Main floor ceiling
    3 piece rough-In on basement
    Deeper windows on basement
    Finnish Next step to basement
    Additional Landry connection on basement
    Additional two windows one on breakfast area and one on master Ensuite.

The second floor 9 ft ceiling is will cost 9800$ we like to have this but we still don't know if this worth this 9800$

It's super early for the design upgrades but this our thoughts till now.
  • floors
    top level tiles on all bathrooms, Foyer, Mudroom, Landry room and kitchen (We wish we can provide our own tiles sense we don't like any of their choices)
    top level wall tiles around showers and tubs.
    keep the slandered carpet on the bedrooms and change them later.
    Hardwood on all main floor and second level hall. (we just thinking of doing this after closing we are not sure about it)
    garnet and quartet for bathroom and kitchen counter tops.
    top level kitchen cabinet.
    top level bathrooms vanity.
    full glass shower for master Ensuite. (it's so expensive but it's super beautiful)
    Other than this we gonna do after closing especially for spotlights.

Thanks a lot
we appreciate any suggestions.

Old 2019-09-02, 09:57 PM
Regular User

Would highly recommend 9' ceilings on the 2nd floor...after you look back, $9,800 will be well worth it, even if it seems like a lot now...it won't down the road and you'll be happy you did.
Old 2019-09-02, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Would highly recommend 9' ceilings on the 2nd floor...after you look back, $9,800 will be well worth it, even if it seems like a lot now...it won't down the road and you'll be happy you did.

Thank you for your suggestion. I agree with that so if we already sign the contract can we go back and add it to the contract. is Mattamy will agree to do this change .

Old 2019-09-02, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Congrats on your purchase!

We are a Mattamy Phase 1 built 2009 (second owner) in Tuxford model and can share a few tips on your questions.

Backyard - you can easily find pics by checking the MLS listings in the area.

Not sure about the new phase but most backyards are quite "shallow" in HMB. Standard depth I believe is usually 82 ft, which is about 25% shorter than "avg". But for us it was not a big issue, it helped keep the cost of the house a bit lower vs comparables and there are lots of parks around. The way we saw it we don't have to maintain a big yard, and have unlimited access to parks. That being said, we ensured to buy a house that was very close to two very nice parks. Another thing we did, which was a little bonus not reflected in our price.....we bought a house that BACKS onto some very large houses on pie shaped lots, so they pay the big premium, but we still benefit from the added privacy and open space, and those homeowners all planted trees along the back of their yard (something we would not have space to do). When we were shopping around in the area we did find that a lot of the houses felt a bit crammed in the backyard in that the other houses are all so close and looming over with little privacy.

9 ft ceilings

We have this on every floor (even higher in basement), as well as upgraded 8 ft doors throughout the house. I would highly recommend both of these upgrades. It really does make the house feel a lot bigger and more open. So while our house has a similar "footprint" than many others in the area, similar to the Parkside model at around 2700-2900 sq ft depending how you measure, the cubic footage is quite a bit larger. The beauty of this is that it does not pull your property taxes up via MPAC's assessment as MPAC is blind to high ceilings UNLESS the room is a full two stories (16 ft). So the only variable cost is a bit higher heating/cooling costs.

I would also recommend the outdoor pot lights "under eavestrough"....this is another thing that helps the home stand out for resale value as not a lot of people go with it, mind you I am unaware of the cost. Also, get the bigger windows in bsmt and plumbing rough in for future bsmt finishing option.

There are lots of tips and tricks for navigating your walk throughs and inspections along the early goings but I will let someone else chime in there!

Hope this helps, best of luck!
Thank you so much for your informative responds, I appreciate it .

Old 2019-09-03, 07:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDream View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I agree with that so if we already sign the contract can we go back and add it to the contract. is Mattamy will agree to do this change .
Unless you have very recently signed off on the structural upgrades, chances are the builder will not go back and allow it now. Nothing to lose asking them though.

As for whether it is worth it - that depends on you. Most homes don't have 9' ceilings period, and even fewer have 9' ceilings on the second floor. We have 9' on our second floor and we love it. Would not do without it and don't regret the decision one bit. I also understand people who say that they spend little time on the second floor and would rather spend the money elsewhere.
Old 2019-09-09, 10:49 AM
Regular User

I'm with Cardel and didn't option the 9ft 2nd floor. This is my biggest regret ever. Do it.
Old 2019-09-15, 07:12 PM
Regular User

We are in a Valleyfield (so not as big as a Parkside but close) which is also meant to sit on a 36 x 88 lot. We do have a pie lot (order backyard at 56') but the depth is the same. The Parkside may have a few feet less depth but if you look in this pic you can see our kitchen bump out to the left to get an idea of what it'd look like with less space.

Sorry I can't see to upload a thumbnail of the link... but you can click on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8v2tzs2rz..._6156.JPG?dl=0
Mattamy | Half Moon Bay South | Valleyfield A
Closed: July 22, 2014 and loving it!

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
I'm with Cardel and didn't option the 9ft 2nd floor. This is my biggest regret ever. Do it.
Thank you for your response. I'm negotiating with them for this hope they will except.