Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-01-28, 08:02 PM
Administrator

I do this in Milton (a lot). Pricing would most likely be less than the $90.

Having Cogeco come to connect your TV cable will get you a single faceplate with a TV cable jack on it, no room for the other stuff. So whomever comes to do the rest (me) would have to replace that faceplate with one that has all the other stuff on it. I usually carry all of this stuff on the truck.

Contact me directly for any questions:

http://www.phand.ca/index.php?go=contact
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-01-29, 03:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
you can do the same thing for the phone wires, exept you use RJ11 jacks and you only need two wires. you can ignore the others.
You can, but I recommend you don't. If you terminate everything with RJ45 you can still plug a phone line into the jack, but in the future if you decide you want another network jack there instead, you can do it with minimal change. Plus you never know what else you might use a CAT5 cable for. There are adaptors that run HDMI signals over CAT5 cable, for example.

If you're sure it'll only be ever used for a phone line, then you can save yourself a step, but the additional effort to punch in the other wires will take you only a few seconds longer.
Old 2010-01-29, 05:42 PM
Regular User

HDMI over cat5e eh? I have a PC that's connected to a router. is there a way i can plug a network cable from the wall in my family room (also connect to my router) into my HDMI port using this adapter and watch movies from my PC upstairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
You can, but I recommend you don't. If you terminate everything with RJ45 you can still plug a phone line into the jack, but in the future if you decide you want another network jack there instead, you can do it with minimal change. Plus you never know what else you might use a CAT5 cable for. There are adaptors that run HDMI signals over CAT5 cable, for example.

If you're sure it'll only be ever used for a phone line, then you can save yourself a step, but the additional effort to punch in the other wires will take you only a few seconds longer.
Old 2010-01-29, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
HDMI over cat5e eh? I have a PC that's connected to a router. is there a way i can plug a network cable from the wall in my family room (also connect to my router) into my HDMI port using this adapter and watch movies from my PC upstairs?
Absolutely not.

HDMI over cat5 (or 6) requires a pair of them. Also each run needs to be pretty much within a centimeter of length of each other.

And it would be an either/or situation, not both. The cable is either used for HDMI or for network.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/