Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-03-23, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Default LED Lighting

(this may not be the correct section to post in?)
Just curious to know if anyone has tried or is using LED bulbs to replace CFL's or regular incandescent bulbs and if so what do you think? Do they provide enough light for most uses or only for lower light use?
Old 2010-03-24, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
(this may not be the correct section to post in?)
Just curious to know if anyone has tried or is using LED bulbs to replace CFL's or regular incandescent bulbs and if so what do you think? Do they provide enough light for most uses or only for lower light use?
Most of the LED lights I have seen do not provide enough lighting for rooms. It depends on where you are using it. There are LED lights sold at SuperStore that we used for cabinet lighting and was enough light for us.

Old 2010-03-24, 11:17 AM
Regular User

I tried out some vanity globe LED lights from Costco, but I wasn't impressed. They weren't frosted (which I think was a big mistake) so it was like having a bunch of LED flashlights shining into your face whenever you looked toward the mirror. They could have been bright enough if the globe was frosted and diffused the light a bit more. So, back to the store they went.
Old 2010-03-24, 11:27 AM
Regular User

I know some of them provide very little light (only 3 diodes in a base) I just bought a 3 pack of candelabra bulbs at Costso for $19.99 they were 1.5 watts each with an adapter so you can use in regular size socket. I guess they would work well in a fixture requiring multiple bulbs but not as single use. I found a conversion chart on the net and it says to equal a 60 watt incandescent I need a 6-8 watt LED or 16-20 watt LED for 100 watt incandescent bulb but at the cost of them I'm not sure if want to experiment. I know Costso also had a 2 pack not sure of the wattage but it was 23.99 looked like it might replace a regular bulb. Maybe I'll just go for it next time I'm in and see what I get.