Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-05-22, 11:51 PM
Regular User

Default Questions About The Wiring Panel

Hi all,

I am quite clueless about tv wiring so big apologies for the possible trivial questions. I need big help in understanding Satellite/Panel/TV wiring so here's the situation:

My home is built with the following spec for TV wiring:

CABLE OUTLETS: 3
SAT PRE-WIRE_four RG-6 coax pre-wire for future satellite dish.
INSTALLATION DETAILS: From panel in the basement to attic, out soffit. Leave 8' extra wire on exterior of home.

From the outside, I can see a wire. My first two questions are:

Question 1: Given that the spec states 4 RG-6 "four_RG-6 coax pre-wire for future satellite dish." Should there be 4 wires outside, I don't think I see 4.

Question 2: How do I hook the wire(s) to the satellite dish, especially if there are more than 1 to hook? I guess the result wanted is to have the satellite dish linked to the panel that will be distributed to all the 3 outlets inside the home.

From the inside, below are 2 photos of the panel in the basement. My remaining questions are:

Question 3: From the first picture there are 4 wires that are not connected to anything. What are they for? Are they the 4 wires stated in the spec? Where they come from? Where should they go/be hooked to to ensure proper wiring?

Question 4: In the 2nd picture, linked to the splitter is 1 cable to the INPUT and 3 to OUTPUT. My guess is the INPUT is linked to CABLE from the outside of the home. And the 3 output are to the 3 cables outlets inside the house. Is that right?

Many Thank.

M & M

Last edited by m & m; 2010-05-23 at 09:06 AM.
Old 2010-05-23, 10:58 AM
Regular User

Smile

Hi m & m.

My house is not built yet but I am going to wire my home for satellite connection in the same way that you requested yours to be wired. I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1) There should be 4 RG 6 coax cables going to your satellite. Two per LNBF. These cables need to go to the input interfaces of a 4 X 4 satellite switch.
2) From the 4 X 4 switch distribute the RG6's to your receivers / PVRs.
3 and 4) The picture you are showing is that of a splitter used by cable companies (not for satellite). The four wires that are showing might be the ones going to the attic for satellite connection.

I hope this helps. Greg, any comments?

Regards,
R_D_G

Last edited by R_D_G; 2010-05-23 at 11:02 AM.
Old 2010-05-23, 11:01 AM
Regular User

One more thing to add. If you are with Bell, they should provide you the 4 X 4 switch. If the the satellite provider you are with does not provide the switch, they are not that expensive and you can purchase one from any electronic store.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

R_D_G
Old 2010-05-23, 12:44 PM
Administrator

The RG6 outside most likely will be for cable TV service from your local cable service provider.

4 RG6 lines prewired for a satellite dish would suggest to me that they are in the attic waiting to be pulled under a soffit to connect to a dish. This way you do not have the lines running up the side of your house. Note: It is doubtful your dish installer will go into the attic, they are not typically allowed to for insurance reasons. You may have to pull these out yourself at the proper location.

The Datacomm splitter you have there is for TV cable, NOT satellite. It is for TV cable. Do not connect any satellite equipment up to this as it could damage your receivers.

Your satellite service provider will install the appropriate hardware to get you up and running with your dish and receivers. They will install a multi-switch to handle the various feeds to each receiver.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-05-24, 12:46 AM
Regular User

Thank you very much Greg and R D G.

I am quite clueless but I want to learn so, one more question. Will this be ok?

1) As stated by RDG, the 4 RG 6 coax cables from the attic will go to the satellite; Two per LNBF.

2) The other ends of those four cables in the basement currently loose (picture 1) will go to the input interfaces of a 4 X 4 satellite switch.

3) From picture 2 in my original post, I can unplug the 3 wires from my module 1-8 way splitter and link them to the output interface of the 4 X 4 satellite switch to direct the signals from the satellite to the 3 locations in my house where I have an outlet I can hook my receivers / PVRs to.

4) PVR / Receivers wired to the outlets in house

5) tada.

Thanks a lot again.

M & M

Last edited by m & m; 2010-05-24 at 12:48 AM.
Old 2010-05-24, 09:28 AM
Regular User

Yup. That's exactly how I would do it. m & m.

RDG
Old 2010-05-24, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Whomever your satellite installer is will do all of this for you and figure out which lines go where.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/