Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-06-14, 12:45 AM
Regular User

Default Where to buy cat6a bulk (1000ft) spool?

Hi all..

I've been forum and web scouring for at least an hour now, and have given up.. (and 'cat6a' search does not come up with anything here)

Anyone know where I can pickup a spool as per the title?
Preferably locally (GTA), or at least in Canada... depending on the price.. (can order for $300 US)

Specs again..

- Cat6a solid cable
- UTP
- FT4 (in-wall, non-plenum) rated
- 500+ MHz (I would hope so)

No one seems to sell anything more than cat6 cable.. (found another one for US$1000/spool, but that was also plenum-rated)

Another question, since I have your attention...
Where's a place to get reasonably priced cat6 keystone jacks for said cable above? Best I could find was about US$1.50 ea from the US...

I'd rather feed the local economy, if the price is within reason...

Thanks!
Old 2010-06-14, 07:35 AM
Regular User

Default cables

If you have a friend who works for some business who's got an account with this company: COMPUTER PLUG , then your in luck there in toronto.

Old 2010-06-14, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Tiger Direct has several locations around GTA. Or if you want to shop in your pjs, here it is:http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...Sort=0&Recs=10
Old 2010-06-14, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Note: Please be careful of cheap prices for cabling. There is a new player in cat5 and cat6 now called copper-clad steel. It's happened in RG6 coax for the last few years and has been accepted for most scenarios, however CCS for twisted pair just doesn't make any sense.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-06-14, 09:57 PM
Regular User

oldskool, Have you tried Sayal electronics......they have two locations in Cambridge and Mississauga that I have personal been to and bought stuff from when Greg came to do my previous house

Last edited by England; 2010-06-14 at 10:55 PM.
Old 2010-06-15, 10:34 PM
Regular User

unfortunately, Sayal doesn't seem to carry cat6a, just cat6..

Although they did seem to sell cat6e keystone jacks.. not sure what that's all about.. I'm wondering if the keystone jacks need to be anything above cat6 (even for cat6a cabling).. I have the gut feeling any of them listed above cat6 are just marketoid hype.... (can't find any info to support or debunk this however)

@GregS - thanks for the tip.. I'll keep my eye out..
Old 2010-06-15, 11:07 PM
Regular User

is there a reason why you need cat6a? I could get you a box. probably more then anyone would want to pay for it, similar to that of cat6 prices when that first came out. there really is no benefit to using cat6a at this time in a house, even cat6 is over kill. 100baseT is more than enough to stream HD media files.

Old 2010-06-16, 01:17 AM
Regular User

Not all of it will be for ethernet/IP..
I may use HDMI/Cat6 baluns to distribute video..
Or use some of them for CC cameras that are not IP-based..

My fileserver will need more than 100Mb.. Streaming media files isn't all I do.. I move lots of data from the server to the HTPC, to the laptops to bring places.. I do plan to run a 1000BaseT network.. maybe 10Gb later.. ;-)

And it's not like it's costing me a fortune to choose a technology now that won't get outdated as quickly.. (cat6 can do 1Gb upto ~40m? whereas cat6a can do the full 100m.. cat7/cat7a specs are already out.. heck, I read cat8 specs already, but no practical applications for either above 10GigE so far)

I might as well stay one generation more current, for a measly overhead of about $140 for the 1000ft spool.. a small price to pay to keep options open for some of the longer term projects I'm planning for..