Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-03-19, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
HMB: 1 issue I see with this approach is if there are other houses listed for sale in the same street/vicinity and the original poster's house price is more than his/her competition, that doesn't bode well. Buyers have access to way more information now than before and any house will sell but only for the right price.

The federal budget presented today is supposed to contain measures to help the millennials get into home ownership, among other things, so it will be interesting how that will impact the real estate market.
Yup fair points to consider re proximity especially! I just find that the agents truly do steer clear of 1% offers so if you can get away with adding an extra 5 or 8k to original asking price vs direct competitors it's worth looking at. I actually offered 3% when I sold my townhouse a few years back when things were coming down to the wire. Was getting a new booking every hour.

And yes - budget day in an election year. Will be interesting for sure.
Old 2019-03-21, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Back in the day they might have been necessary but I wouldn't waste my time with one now, especially in a hot market with an appealing house. Drop your price by 2.5% rather than getting bribed. I sold my condo on kijiji, with my photos, zero staging, zero open houses and my own ad on the day I signed with the agent, after being on the market with another agent for a year. I knew the pros, I knew the area, I could answer all the buyers questions. 10k burned. I've also had a horrible experience with an agent convincing me to adjust (drop) the price on a property, and secretly renewing the contract with the agent.