Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-10-16, 06:45 PM
Regular User

Both Ottawa dealers charge the same prices as listed on the Sonos website. The ZP90's are $399. There was no haggling to be had. Not to say you might not have better luck than I.

Sonos offers a bundle deal (2 zones plus remote) which saves about 14%. Apparently sometimes they offer special bundles, like a few months ago there was a special involving a ZP90 and their older controller.
Old 2009-10-17, 12:52 PM
Regular User

May I ask who the two Sonos dealers are in Ottawa? We've been to the Audio Center on Clyde. Who is the other dealer? Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Old 2009-10-17, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post
May I ask who the two Sonos dealers are in Ottawa? We've been to the Audio Center on Clyde. Who is the other dealer? Please feel free to PM me if you prefer.

If you go into the canadian sonos website http://www.sonos.com/store_locator/?...ntryISO=ca#map
and put your postal code in it will show you all the stores in your area.
Old 2009-10-19, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara23 View Post

The Mac Group is the other one. You can see the dealer list on the Sonos website.
Old 2010-03-25, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Sorry, I may be missing something here, but can't you do the same thing with a PS3? I have a media server on my computer holding all my music / video / pictures (TVersity is what I use for the server which is free). Then in any room that has a PS3, I can connect to that system and see all my stuff. For about $299 per room, I just connect it through the TV and away I go. My kids are able to connect their computers into the server as well and sync up their iPods and other MP3 devices and we're good to go.

I think this is similar to the Airport idea and comes with a Blue Ray player and a gaming system.

Just an idea.

Old 2010-03-25, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmeister7 View Post
Sorry, I may be missing something here, but can't you do the same thing with a PS3? I have a media server on my computer holding all my music / video / pictures (TVersity is what I use for the server which is free). Then in any room that has a PS3, I can connect to that system and see all my stuff. For about $299 per room, I just connect it through the TV and away I go. My kids are able to connect their computers into the server as well and sync up their iPods and other MP3 devices and we're good to go.

I think this is similar to the Airport idea and comes with a Blue Ray player and a gaming system.

Just an idea.
I take it that you are using the TV as your audio output? But if you are using in-ceiling/in-wall speakers, I think the PS3 model will not work unless it is hooked up to a receiver.

Old 2010-03-25, 11:18 AM
Regular User

I have two main rooms where I run audio / video so I just run the PS3 through those systems. From what I remember the cost of the Sonos system, even buying a low end surround system with the PS3 will still give you lots to play with. I do have ceiling speakers in one area and connected them to my existing AV system which also uses my PS3.

I guess the big thing with Sonos is that's easy as someone sets it up for you.

For people like me who like to tinker themselves and already have tons of audio equipment, my PS3 option worked perfectly. Just an idea to put out there.

Old 2010-03-25, 03:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I have two main rooms where I run audio / video so I just run the PS3 through those systems. From what I remember the cost of the Sonos system, even buying a low end surround system with the PS3 will still give you lots to play with. I do have ceiling speakers in one area and connected them to my existing AV system which also uses my PS3.

For people like me who like to tinker themselves and already have tons of audio equipment, my PS3 option worked perfectly. Just an idea to put out there.
Oh ok. I thought, by your description, you were running the PS3 as a stand alone. Sorry about that. I also use TVersity to stream movies to my PS3. However, I use Sonos to run the house audio. I like tinkering with equipment too.

Last edited by PerMil; 2010-03-25 at 03:26 PM.
Old 2010-03-25, 03:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Absolutely. There are plenty of ways to get music playing in different rooms of the house. The PS3 is one option. Apple's Airport Express is another option. Some TVs are now coming with built in DLNA server functionality. Logitech also sells a solution called Squeezebox which is very similar to Sonos.

One of the strengths of Sonos is that you can have the same music playing in every room of the house at the same time. You can't really do that with the PS3 solution. (You can do it with Airport Express, but the corollary is that you can't have different music playing in each room...) Whether you need this function or not is up to you, of course.

The other major strength of Sonos is the ease-of-use. It's ridiculously simple to set up (basically plug it in, press 2 buttons, and it's done). It doesn't require a server running which can be a factor (though this would clearly be a non-issue for someone running TVersity like yourself). It has a slick user interface. The system is very stable and rarely screws up. It takes care of its own WiFi network so you don't have to. If these are important to you then it may be worth paying the extra cost. But if you like to tinker, don't mind running a server, then yes, there are certainly cheaper ways to do it.

I still only have the one Sonos box installed in my kitchen. I intend to buy more later but the high cost has been causing me to say "wait until I really need it". Meanwhile, I am also using my PS3 in the living room and am contemplating a DLNA-equipped TV in the future. Apple TV is also on my list of toys to consider...

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2010-03-25 at 03:56 PM.