Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2009-12-01, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Well I got 5 in wall 8" kevlar speakers, 4 HDMI cables and a tilt mount for $500 cdn shipped. There is obviously "better" stuff out there but the costs are not even comparable. I am willing to bet that the average home owner would be unable to tell the difference. I have a top end Yamaha Rx and have had only high compliments from others who come over to watch movies. Not worth the massive out of extra cash to go elsewhere unless you have money to burn.
Old 2009-12-01, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
Well I got 5 in wall 8" kevlar speakers, 4 HDMI cables and a tilt mount for $500 cdn shipped. There is obviously "better" stuff out there but the costs are not even comparable. I am willing to bet that the average home owner would be unable to tell the difference. I have a top end Yamaha Rx and have had only high compliments from others who come over to watch movies. Not worth the massive out of extra cash to go elsewhere unless you have money to burn.
As long as the HDMI cables you buy work then they should be fine.

As I mentioned, you would be hard pressed to find better speakers at the price you will get them through monoprice. That said, there are a lot of much better sounding speakers out there (yes, you will probably pay more) and yes, if they were listened to side by side the average home owner (especially one willing to spend money on a home theater) would be able to tell the difference.

At the other extreme there are probably a lot of people that would probably say that you waisted too much money on speakers when your Tv probably came with two built in. What it comes down to is if you are willing to spend the extra dollars to get the better sound. There are a lot of good sounding Canadian speakers out there to be had for less than you might think (but more than monoprice).
Old 2010-01-05, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Not sure about getting speakers from monoprice, but i love that site. Even gonna pick up some instrument cables for my guitar.

as an aside, i'm itching to see what new Plasmas are going to be announced at CES. Gonna have my own little media room in the basement when we close, so i have my eye on getting a TV between 50-60"

Old 2010-01-05, 05:40 PM
Regular User

I'm waiting for those LED backlit TVs to go down in price. Have you seen how thin those are?!
Old 2010-01-05, 07:31 PM
Administrator

I saw all the new models in September at the CEDIA Expo. Panasonic has a very nice plasma that is extremely thin.

So you get the added benefits of a plasma picture along with a thin set.

The LEDs still showed the same issues which is a brightness pattern at the edges during a dark picture. You can pick out where all the LEDs were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7921_164326661398_643471398_4132246_5308732_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5375  
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-01-05, 07:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
I saw all the new models in September at the CEDIA Expo. Panasonic has a very nice plasma that is extremely thin.

So you get the added benefits of a plasma picture along with a thin set.

Awesome. that's what i'm getting then

I was thinkin of pickin one up during the boxing day sales (eye on the G10s) but i thought i would wait. Not closing until June anyway.

Old 2010-01-06, 06:15 PM
Regular User

any tv recommendation for a room with plenty of windows directly across from the tv? i need something with a non-reflective screen that can still deliver a viewable picture with some direct sunlight. my old DLP isn't cutting it anymore...
Old 2010-01-06, 07:36 PM
Regular User

Greg, what do you think of in-wall speakers for home theater? My understanding was because they're freeair and don't have a sealed chamber, the mid/midbass/bass response from them would be very muddy. I noticed that Bose and Speakercraft have units with a sealed box attached to the speaker assembly. Thoughts?

Old 2010-01-06, 07:51 PM
Administrator

For theatre in-walls I always use Atlantic Technology. They have several closed box versions that also have various methods of electronic compensation for different situations.

I just did a basement theatre with three IWCB-626s and four ICTS-6.3e and it sounds amazing, and I haven't even tuned it yet.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-01-07, 12:40 PM
Regular User

All the companies announced their 2010 models

The Samsung plasma's actually look quite interesting, even though i was originally leaning towards Pannys