Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-02-18, 02:20 AM
Regular User

Default Conduits for future cabling

Hello,

I've purchased a new home and the closing is sometime next year. One of the things that concern me is trying to get my house wired while the builder have put up the wooden frame of the home. I understand that some builders do not allow you to put conduits / cat5 cable yourself, while some do (based on stories I've heard).

I've been thinking about doing this via the decor centre, and I am curious if anyone have put up conduits / cat5 cable in their homes via the builder? If so, what is the cost (just so I have a rough idea of how much this will cost me)??

I would prefer to have conduits up as I can run any cable I like, and simply fish it through.
Old 2010-02-18, 06:55 AM
Regular User

I purchased two from attic to basement and negotiated them down to $175 each. I had them installed 5 feet appart. That was the best I could do.

Last edited by PJD; 2010-02-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 2010-02-18, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Please do not put in your own conduit unless you have some idea on building and construction.

It may seem simple, however, if you drill a large hole through something you shouldn't be, then you have just caused a problem. If you place the conduit in a spot where something else needs to go, then that's another problem.

Let the builder do it. Costs will vary per builder.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-02-18, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Greg,

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I am clueless but I was wondering what to tell my builder to do during construction if I want to have a sorround sound system installed after the fact. I had thought the conduit to the basement was one of them?
Old 2010-02-18, 11:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj3tots View Post
Greg,

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I am clueless but I was wondering what to tell my builder to do during construction if I want to have a sorround sound system installed after the fact. I had thought the conduit to the basement was one of them?
Where's your HT system going to be located? Are you finishing the basement with the builder? Are you using inside walls only? Etc.

Ask your builder for their available options while you're searching the discussion groups and the Net. You'll find tons of inspiration and info here (in various threads) and in many places.

My builder charged me $110/conduit. Depending on the location, conduit will run from the basement to the second floor or from the attic to the second floor location. My basement will be unfinished so I'm not worried about wiring the ground floor except for walls with insulation - doable but a bit messier.
Old 2010-02-18, 09:10 PM
Administrator

A conduit is simply a tube that will allow you to easily run wiring from one end to the other.

The best application for this is a conduit from the basement to the attic. This will allow new wiring for TV, telephone, network, speakers, control to be run from the basement up to the attic. Once in the attic it can be dropped down the interior walls of the second floor and brought out to a wall plate so you can access it.

There are other conduits, such as having one above a fireplace to the basement. This will allow you easily run any sort of wiring you need between a TV mounted up there to the basement. Once in the basement it can be connected to your equipment located there or on the main floor.

If you are looking to do surround sound for a home theatre application, this can usually be done afterwards providing it's on a main floor and you wish to have floor standing or wall mounted speakers. Any qualified CEDIA Installer can do this for you.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-02-19, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Get it. Thanks
Old 2010-02-21, 07:39 PM
Regular User

Default size of the conduit

what's your suggestion on the size of conduit from the attic to basement and also at the back of fireplace.
Thanks,
Old 2010-02-21, 07:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT9 View Post
what's your suggestion on the size of conduit from the attic to basement and also at the back of fireplace.
Thanks,
Through the builder you don't usually get a choice, it's a 2" conduit and that's it.