Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-03, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Default Deck builders in Ottawa recommendation, please.

Hello guys,

spring is approaching, I am now looking for reliable deck builder to build my deck (16' X 16'). Do you have any recommendation which trades in Ottawa to go with? Good quality is alwasy priority, reasonable price is also the key. I would really appreciate if you could provide any information about the deck builders in Ottawa.

BTW, what price range I should expect to build a 16' X 16' deck over walk-out basement? I will be using the normal pressure-treated wood as material.

Thanks
Eric
Old 2010-03-03, 03:06 PM
Regular User

My husband is the best deck builder. He built me the nicest deck ever....but unfortunately I don't contract him out Craig and Sons Contracting did almost every other deck on our street though and they also build REALLY nice fences.

Good luck!
Old 2010-03-04, 08:26 AM
Regular User

Bad that you don't contract your busband out.
I'll check out Craig and Sons Contracting to see how well they do their business.
Thanks for your hints.

Hope more comments on this.
Old 2010-03-04, 08:56 AM
Regular User

We actually went through Home Depot - who obviously sub-contracts out someone else - and we had a very good experience. For one, we didn't have to put any money up front. We had 12 months interest free to pay off the bill. The sub-contractors apparently were not paid until Home Depot got the 100% okay from me, so I had all the power and leverage to make them come back and correct a couple of minor things. I am sure that they wouldn't have come back had I already paid them.

I did get 4 quotes for the job originally, and I think going with Home Depot cost me about 10% more - but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 2010-03-04, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBridlewood View Post
We actually went through Home Depot - who obviously sub-contracts out someone else - and we had a very good experience. For one, we didn't have to put any money up front. We had 12 months interest free to pay off the bill. The sub-contractors apparently were not paid until Home Depot got the 100% okay from me, so I had all the power and leverage to make them come back and correct a couple of minor things. I am sure that they wouldn't have come back had I already paid them.

I did get 4 quotes for the job originally, and I think going with Home Depot cost me about 10% more - but well worth it in my opinion.
LoveBridleWood, very nice to know it. I think going through HomeDepot is not a bad option. I will go to HomeDepot to get a quote, I dont really mind so much paying 10% more if I can sleep well in hte night and don't have to worry about hte quality.

However if I can be ensure that going directly with trade can also provide same quality and warranty, who would mind saving 10%?
Old 2010-03-19, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Not pleasant experience with the quote:
Contacted Craig contracting for estimate, but no one from them showed up at the agreed date time.
Contactd bytwon fence, no one showed up either. Called them back to reschedule another appointment, the guy did come and wrote down some information saying email me the quote, he never did.
I am contacting Homedepot now to hope them can finally give me a quote.

what the hell are those contracters? it is normal that they don't show up at the appointment and don't care giving you the estimate? confused.
Old 2010-03-19, 02:19 PM
Regular User

Default decks

There probaly swamped with other builds, have you tried any other local contractors, try the local papers, ussually they have trades persons in the ad's in the back of those papers, if your in kanata then the emc is a place to start.
Old 2010-05-31, 07:11 PM

Default What kind of prices would you expect?

Hello,

How much should I expect to pay for a 16x14 deck? Any idea? Maybe I'll buy the tools+material and do it myself if it's too expensive!

M. Wong
Old 2010-05-31, 07:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongjing View Post
Hello,

How much should I expect to pay for a 16x14 deck? Any idea? Maybe I'll buy the tools+material and do it myself if it's too expensive!

M. Wong
If you go to Homedepot with a design they will price it out for you.
Old 2010-05-31, 07:45 PM

I just want to get an idea before I go to Home Depot. What are the prices with a contractor (professional)?