Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-05-12, 03:26 PM
Regular User

Talking Monster cables and products

Are they over rated? Your opinions on those in particular:

1. Component cables
2. HDMI cables
3. PowerCenter

I know that there are many factors you have to consider but overall, what do you think?
Old 2010-05-12, 03:42 PM
Regular User

very over rated. I get all my "monster-ish" Cables from monoprice.com

I dont believe the naked eye can see the difference between a 6ft monoprice cable and a 6ft monster cable... Well unless you show the eye the 100$ difference on the receipt..
Old 2010-05-12, 03:55 PM
Regular User

WAY overrated and overpriced. Apparently the margins on these are HUGE at Future Shop and the like.

Remember that most signals nowadays are digital -- they either arrive correctly or they don't. There's no "slightly better" about it. A cable either works or it doesn't, meaning the cheapest cables won't do any worse than the more expensive cables. Now, if you're running a really long cable, the cheapest cables might not be enough to get the signal through -- in which case you'll know it right away and you just buy a better cable.
Old 2010-05-12, 04:05 PM
Regular User

yes, overrated. i also got mine from www.monoprice.com for ALOT cheeper
Old 2010-05-12, 04:08 PM
Administrator

I've never really been a fan of Monster. In the early days a number of their claims were incomprehensible.

Custom installers have a whole range of products available to them that fair better and would most likely cost less.

Some people rave about Monoprice, however that is typically a DIY type person who doesn't usually know why Monoprice stuff is cheap
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-05-12, 04:16 PM
Regular User

why is monoprice cheep? and why do you say they are for a DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Some people rave about Monoprice, however that is typically a DIY type person who doesn't usually know why Monoprice stuff is cheap
Old 2010-05-12, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Based on the Monoprice products that I have been provided by clients to install:

Their HDMI cables are too ridgid and heavy. They don't bend behind TVs and fall out of the back of AV receivers. Not good for custom installs and call backs.

Their binding post plates are not machined very well.. the screw threads don't go down all the way so the speaker wire doesn't get clamped in tight enough.

Their brackets are extremely basic.. meaning cheap metal with very few features.

Again, these are my observations based on what I was provided to install.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-05-12, 04:47 PM
Regular User

ya i noticed my hdmi cables were thicker and alot stiffer than this other brand i originally bought.
Old 2010-05-12, 05:14 PM
Regular User

ya i mean with monoprice you gotta take what you get with a grain of salt. They are still 10$ cables..

HDMI the actual connection it self has to be the worst thought out connection ever. They are a poor connection in that they dont bite into what your plugging into. sometimes it the cable or the component its self or both... Never seen a "RCA" style cable come loose or fall out like an hdmi can!

I grabbed a few 3ft cables from monoprice to tidy up my install.. they where heavy for sure but did the job well. gott em in purple to help bling out my dust bunnies