Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-07-08, 04:22 PM
Regular User

Default Rogers PVR box

For those that have their PVR, HD or Digital box hidden, how do you manage to have the remote work without pointing it at the box.

The way I am setup is that the PVR is in the corner within an 'entertainment' unit along with my other devices. Since the remote use infrared, I need to have the remote pointed directly to the box which is annoying as I have to move each time I change channel.

Any solution? Will a universal remote like the nice logitech one solved the problem?
Old 2010-07-08, 04:30 PM
Regular User

Don't they offer a UHF remote? My satellite boxes have UHF remotes So I can control the tv from upstairs or even outside.
Old 2010-07-08, 05:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtx View Post
For those that have their PVR, HD or Digital box hidden, how do you manage to have the remote work without pointing it at the box.

The way I am setup is that the PVR is in the corner within an 'entertainment' unit along with my other devices. Since the remote use infrared, I need to have the remote pointed directly to the box which is annoying as I have to move each time I change channel.

Any solution? Will a universal remote like the nice logitech one solved the problem?
I purchased an IR repeater. It's a little eye that I keep on the fireplace mantle beside my wall mounted TV. My rogers box is in an enclosed cabident with the other end of the repeater. As long as I point my remote at the IR eye just as I would towards the TV it works like normal. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart. It's discreet and allows me to keep every component hidden away.
Old 2010-07-08, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Well hopefully it's not UHF, otherwise it will cause TV snow every time you use it

RF based remotes (usually in the 433Mhz range) are a common thing custom installers use to allow placement of all the equipment in another location, such as another room, and still be able to control everything.

I usually use either a URC MX-880, a Nevo Q50, or a Crestron Prodigy. RF based remotes will cost you at least $550 with their respective base station.

These remotes would be programmed to control all of the equipment in the other room.

You can also use an InfraRed (IR) repeater. However, they are still directional, meaning you have to point your remote at it in order for it to repeat the signal.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-07-09, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Thanks Greg. I'll read more on the remotes you quoted to get more information and educate myself on this. These are the equipments that I am looking to hookup and hope you can direct me to a good one that will fit best;

- TV
- Rogers PVR
- PS3
- Mac mini using HDMI
- Computer (shuttle box) using video component
- potentially a dedicated blu-ray player

All of the devices will be hook up to a AVR (HK 2600) powered by Mirage MX 5.1 speakers.

I mentioned in the initial thread that I was looking at a logitech one. Have you have experience with the Harmony 900?
Old 2010-07-09, 10:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Well hopefully it's not UHF, otherwise it will cause TV snow every time you use it
Sorry that is correct it's a RF remote control
Old 2010-07-09, 02:36 PM
Regular User

I looked at a few of the professional-install options and they were just far to expensive for what I was looking for (and willing to pay). I ended up buying a Harmony 890 on Amazon and it's absolutely perfect for what I want. I use it to control my TV, PVR, Popcorn Hour, multi-room audio system, and automated lighting. My wife was skeptical but loved it from the second we started using it. All my equipment is in the basement now which is the real win!

I had also tried the newer Harmony 900 but the range is terrible compared to the 890. Logitech when and changed the RF in the new one and it's a huge downgrade in my opinion.