Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-17, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Default fences recommendations for townhouses

I will be moving in November 19 to an inventory townhouse in Jackson Trails. I am the last one to move in the block. I have a dog therefore need to fence my property. I am also an end unit and nobody has fenced yet. I have letter from Tamarack saying ok with putting a fence now. My left neighbour is ok in splitting the fees, did not ask my right one because trying to sell their house so figured would not want to spent the money. Rethinking this one after reading numerous posts here. Now my question is should I asked all the others or not ? Which companies would you recommended ? thanks!
Old 2010-10-17, 12:49 PM
Regular User

there is a semi on the corner of Horseshoe and Cherokee - behind the mail box - which has a very well built fence
Old 2010-10-17, 12:51 PM
Regular User

What if the ground freezes (ie we have snow)? Not sure but wouldn't it impact them digging holes for the fence? or make the cement not cure properly?

Could you just put up a temporary snow fence for this year? I would ask the neighbors anyway even if they aren't going to be there. I'm assuming you want the fence on the property line?
Old 2010-10-17, 07:48 PM
Regular User

I am hoping we will not have snow early. I have a big dog so the fence needs to be high because with the snow my dog could jump over the fence. I have talk to a company that says they do it until the end of November. Ideally I would like it to be done in mid November. I have asked for a couple of quotes from Navan Fence, Bytown fence, Amco fencing. Any other suggestions?
Old 2010-10-17, 08:00 PM
Regular User

Default fences

Yes I know I have driven many times in the neighbourhood to give me ideas for landscaping and where to stop the fence as my front door is on the side. Also to see what the fences on the different blocks of townhouses looked like from the back. Wanted to grasp the best way/esthetic way to put that fence with the 2 doors.
Don't seem to be able to reach all the neighbhours, would it be acceptable to leave a letter in the mail box with my intentions???
Old 2010-10-18, 11:18 AM
Regular User

We are waiting on a quote from Amco Fencing. They came by to take measurements, and was on time and was very helpful.

There was a thread on this forum also where they got good reviews as well.

Will let you know if we go with Amco how it goes.

Old 2010-10-18, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmal View Post
I will be moving in November 19 to an inventory townhouse in Jackson Trails. I am the last one to move in the block. I have a dog therefore need to fence my property. I am also an end unit and nobody has fenced yet. I have letter from Tamarack saying ok with putting a fence now. My left neighbour is ok in splitting the fees, did not ask my right one because trying to sell their house so figured would not want to spent the money. Rethinking this one after reading numerous posts here. Now my question is should I asked all the others or not ? Which companies would you recommended ? thanks!
You can, by all means, as the others, but I would be surprised if they commit to a fence now. They had all summer to put one up... In an ideal situation, I would suggest asking all the neighbours, but with such a small window of time between when you move in, to when the ground will likely freeze, I'd say get that fence up ASAP.

To save yourself a headache, or an eyesore of having vastly different fences in your backyard, I would just suck it up and pay for the one for the right for now.

Also, seeing as you have a big dog, if you intend to leave it out in the backyard without a leash, I would highly suggest that you consider building a fence within the easement lines. Sure, you may lose a meter on the sides, and the back, but here are two considerations.

1.Other neighbours may be afraid of the big dog when they cross through the easement - just something to consider. It's also worthwhile to note if you aren't as dilligent in cleaning up dog sh!t.

2. One of my current neighbours who I live beside right now has that issue. They're great neighbours and all, but each time I go through the easement to get to the back to mow my lawn, I have to deal with the dogs going nuts, and have to dance around all the dogsh!t on the easement. They are fantastic neighbours and I have no issues with them whatsoever, except for all the 'landmines' in the backyard...
Old 2010-10-18, 12:51 PM
Regular User

My neighbours across the street went with Ottawa Competitive Construction. They install the PVC posts by shooting it into the ground with no digging and concrete if you're worried about frost heaving. They are also half the price.

My neighbour to the right of me was already to go with them as well but I reminded him that I can't put up a fence for a year so we didn't get it done yet. dmmal, maybe tell your neighbours you have permission from the builder to put up a fence now.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-10-18, 01:02 PM
Regular User

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering if i was correct in my thinking of how the fence would be in our backyard. We are one of the middle units in a row of townhouses. Therefore, If i'm not mistaken, we're not required to leave an easement because people can get to their yard from either end without needing to go through ours. I've attached a portion of our site plan to show this. we are part 80/81.

http://imgur.com/0PQMT.png

Our neighbour to the right and left are interested in getting a fence as well.
Excuse the poor MS Paint job, but does this rough diagram look right?

I wasn't sure if the top dividing fence between the two blocks was required, or if its better to leave that open making the easement bigger for both blocks.

Old 2010-10-18, 01:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering if i was correct in my thinking of how the fence would be in our backyard. We are one of the middle units in a row of townhouses. Therefore, If i'm not mistaken, we're not required to leave an easement because people can get to their yard from either end without needing to go through ours. I've attached a portion of our site plan to show this. we are part 80/81.

http://imgur.com/0PQMT.png

Our neighbour to the right and left are interested in getting a fence as well.
Excuse the poor MS Paint job, but does this rough diagram look right?

I wasn't sure if the top dividing fence between the two blocks was required, or if its better to leave that open making the easement bigger for both blocks.
They aren't required to fence both sides of the easement.
Generally, the side closest to the house isnt fenced as per your diagram, and thus, the gate is on the property line between your two houses.