Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2010-12-13, 10:04 AM
Regular User

Default Sound Bar Vs traditional home theatre

I'm in the market for a surround sound system and i've been seeing sound bar's vs the traditional home theatre system

How good are sound bar's?

do they compare to traditional home theatre systems?

wanted some feedback from someone who has a sound bar

thanks
Old 2010-12-13, 10:48 AM
Regular User

Hey there,
I went through a similar debate while looking at home audio solutions without going for a whole traditional home theatre system.

No sound bar out there will replicate a traditional home theatre system, there just isn't enough oomph in it to do so. Sound bars are good, especially in an enclosed smaller room, but for a larger open space, they aren't as ideal as they replicate surround sound.

In my great room, I didn't want speakers all over the place so I was looking at sound bars or smaller system...

I bought a Sony HT-CT100 and tried it out for about a week before I returned it. I have the Bose Cinemate II and I prefer the Bose to the Sony soundbar.

Old 2010-12-13, 11:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesboughtahome View Post
I'm in the market for a surround sound system and i've been seeing sound bar's vs the traditional home theatre system

How good are sound bar's?

do they compare to traditional home theatre systems?

wanted some feedback from someone who has a sound bar

thanks
Is your TV on a stand right now?

If so, you should be aware that most sound bars are about 6" high. If you place the sound bar in front of your TV on the same stand, the sound bar may block the lower part of your TV.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-12-13, 11:48 PM
Administrator

I've done a few sound bar setups. Much of it comes down to the shape of the room.
The surround channels are bounced off walls in order to provide you will the effect. If there is no wall on one side, then you lose out on the sound from that side.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2010-12-14, 09:56 AM
Regular User

my tv is mounted on the wall right now, so it shouldn't be an issue with where to put the sound bar.

as for the design of the room, it's rectangular, but the one wall is where the kitchen is and it's only a half wall where the kitchen sink is, so maybe you're right greg, could be an issue with sound from that side.

I think i'll just go into some stores and check out the two options and hear for myself what they sound like.

thanks for the reply's
Old 2010-12-22, 11:43 AM
Regular User

It looks like your new to this. There are so many options available out there to balance aesthetics, sound quality and budget. Without going through all of them I will suggest 2 options - 2.1 or 3.1 system using slimmer profile wall mount speakers and a good quality subwoofer. A 2.1 is essentially a left and right speaker plus sub. A 3.1 is like a 2.1 plus a center channel speaker where most of the dialogue come from. If you have a budget in mind I may be able to provide you more specific suggestions.