Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-13, 10:58 AM
Regular User

Default Tech Upgrades for Bristol

I have put a deposit down and will be finalizing the purchase agreement next week on a Bristol in Phase 12 in Findlay Creek. I have reviewed all the threads I could find on Tamarack upgrades, but have not seen too much on the tech side of things. I am looking for any suggestions from other Bristol owners, as well as some prices.

My basic plan is to have a basic home theater in the basement (Tamarack is likely going to finish the basement), TV in the Great Room (Looks like above the fireplace on the back wall), TV in Master Bedroom (Probably on wall directly in front of the bed, with our dresser going in the nook, like in the JT model). Speakers in ceiling for theater surrounds and in other rooms for music. I plan to get a Control 4 system for those who are familiar.

My questions are:

1. How much for speaker pre-wiring?
2. How much for conduits and any special considerations when planning where to put them.
3. Where have people put their cable box, etc for a TV above the fireplace?
4. Where have people put their cable box, etc for a TV on the wall in Master Bedroom
4. How much for ethernet outlets?
5. Any other suggestions?
Old 2011-04-13, 11:44 AM
Regular User

RadDad,

Here are a few things/prices. I doubt they've changed significantly since I went through the process last year. All the tech-related stuff is done through Concept Home Theatre. Great company, I loved working with them.

1. $105 for pre-wiring of a pair of speakers, $58.50 for the 4 port speaker plates

2. $115 per run for conduits. We did two runs (1 from above the fireplace to the basement, 1 from the corner of the room to the basement). Special consideration is to make sure you get a plug behind the TV (above the fireplace) with the Design Centre as that is not done with Concept.

3. We have our TV above the fireplace on a tilt mount, and have our RogersBox, DVD player, etc. in the outside corner of the room on a small shelf. Other people have also gotten an RF remote and put their boxes in the basement.

Only consideration to make is that from above the fireplace, down to the basement, back up in the corner of the room is about 20 feet, so you would need to get cables that are long enough for that run. Also, the conduits aren't enormous, so you cannot fit a ton of cables in there.

4. I don't recall the price, but less than $100, I think...?

4. (The other #4). The missus won't let me have a TV in the bedroom so I didn't do much thinking on where the cable box, etc. would go. The only thing I would be careful with is where you will mount your TV on the wall directly in front of the bed. It's a double door for the master bedroom, so just make sure the TV/boxes etc. don't stick out too much that the door may swing into it.

5. Wish we had thought of this - but speaker wiring to the backyard for outdoor speakers.

Also, if you get Tamarack to finish your basement, make sure you will still have access to your conduits to fish wires through. Otherwise, it may be a straight drop from your Great room to the basement ceiling (which will be drywalled if Tamarack is finishing it). Then you'll need to figure out ways to hide the wires...again in the basement.

Hope that helps, welcome to Findlay Creek!

Old 2011-04-13, 12:34 PM
Regular User

sorry dont mean to hijack the thread - but we are planning on getting ceiling speakers in our beckwith. Im wondering if I should buy the actual speakers from the design centre or just get rough-in and wiring done. They are charging 175 for a pair of ceiling speaker rough in plus 475 for the speakers themselves - and I have no idea as to the quality of these speakers.

Again - sorry to hijack your thread

Thanks
w
Old 2011-04-13, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGretzky View Post
sorry dont mean to hijack the thread - but we are planning on getting ceiling speakers in our beckwith. Im wondering if I should buy the actual speakers from the design centre or just get rough-in and wiring done. They are charging 175 for a pair of ceiling speaker rough in plus 475 for the speakers themselves - and I have no idea as to the quality of these speakers.

Thanks
w
depending on how much of an audiophile you are, and whether or not you want to DIY after closing...

For what it's worth, monoprice has a pair of in-ceiling speakers for $40ish...

Old 2011-04-13, 01:33 PM
Regular User

Both cable and ethernet outlets were $98.10 and a two port speaker plate was $45.50. (Oct 2009)
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-04-13, 01:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Thanks
w
Concept Home Theatre had an option to install speaker caps in lieu of speakers for $50. This way, you can take your time shopping for speakers without having to see speaker wires dangling in the ceiling. Then, if you went back to them for the speakers, you would get credit for the speaker caps.

I was originally going to get in ceiling speakers as well but felt that it was too expensive.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-04-13, 09:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
The only thing I would be careful with is where you will mount your TV on the wall directly in front of the bed. It's a double door for the master bedroom, so just make sure the TV/boxes etc. don't stick out too much that the door may swing into it.
YES! We've been through this with our current house. The tv is in front of the bed, and the functioning (not 'fixed' ie locking) swings partially in front of it. Had I thought it through, I would have got them to change which door was stationary, and in doing that, I would have had to change the placement on te light switch (because if they switched the doors for me now, the light switch would be behind the door we use all the time - confusing!)

Quote:
I got a great pair of ceiling speakers from Monoprice for $80/pair love them - they work and sound great!
Old 2011-04-13, 10:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Thanks
w
We wired the speakers but we will get them after. They were charging to much for the quality. We can get much better for the same price.

Old 2011-04-13, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Chances are the speakers are going to be builder grade.. meaning, entry level, or about the same as the cheap monoprice speakers.

For $400 aftermarket you can get a significantly better grade speaker. For even $250 you are still ahead of the game.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-04-13, 10:34 PM
Regular User

Yep - Do your research on the speakers. My BIL quickly installed ours from Monoprice for us, and he also worked for a well known A/V company for many years. He was impressed with ours from Monoprice, of course taking into consideration the price we paid vs quality.
Not comparing it to my father's sweet Harmon/Kardon-Bose combo, of course, but it'll do