Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-09, 07:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Adding two panels to the back of the island in lieu of drywalled backing on island, $291
Wow, I can't believe that is an upgrade!
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-08-09, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Wow, I can't believe that is an upgrade!
it is and they got away much cheaper than we did
Old 2011-08-09, 08:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToBuy View Post
I do have another quetsion if you don't mind.
I see alot that the Britsol and the Beckwith are very similar in layout.

Can you guys tell me why you chose one over the other?
Is the Bristol noticably smaller in layout to teh Bechwith? It looks a little bit smaller on paper but that may not be the case in person.
We looked at both, and in JT at the time, the Beckwith fit better in our budget We also really liked the mudroom.
Looking back, and well, forwards, I wish we had explores it more, as we really wanted a kitchen with an island. Had we bought the Bristol, we would have definitely done the upgraded kitchen and had it completed like mc_Ottawa does.

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2011-08-09 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:00 PM

The Bristol does have a study.

We chose the Bristol because we are much happier with the service Tamarack provided us over Tartan.

There are several differences between the 2. principally is the mud room with the Beck. none with the Bristol. a study has little use for us so we converted it to a bigger mud room by moving the garage door for 200$. The MBR is a little smaller in the bristol but the ensuite is larger with a double sink and a true deep soaker tub. The bristol has a large laundry room that does not back onto the MBR. The Bristol is completely open concept on main floor with the exception of the mud room in our case (hides the kids boots). Typically Tamarack designs have more windows especially on the sides. all depends what you like...everything is subjective .. everyone's tastes are different
Old 2011-08-09, 09:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Danny View Post
The Bristol does have a study.
My bad - it doesn't have a mudroom, but does have a study! I've changed my original post.
As noted, both have great features, and similar. I do like the open kitchen better in the Bristol (did I already say that? ) also all that pantry space that comes with it! There are many changes I would have made to my kitchen now, having lived in it for almost six months.
The ensuite in the Bristol is nicer as well. I could give you a list of modifications I'd make to our bathrooms now
I do prefer the exteriors on the Tartan models, even though there are no grey brick options. I find the Tamarack exteriors quite plain - but I do love the ones with the grey tones and black trim!

Last edited by Cosmogrrl; 2011-08-09 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2011-08-09, 09:24 PM
Regular User

TimeToBuy - what is the pull to one vs. the other?
Like if you prefer the Bristol, what has you changing your mind to the Beckwith?
Old 2011-08-09, 10:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToBuy View Post
What are the changes that you would now do to the kitchen and bathroom?
Actually, I love my kitchen for what it is - but I would have looked into doing the island, and allowing them to leave the support beams to do so (or at least draft it up to see how it looked). We had our heart set on a double wall oven, and the Beckwith can not accommodate that at all. I love all the pantry space into the eating area as well.
As for the ensuite bathroom, I'd move everything around similar to how Brian_JenMc did (check out her blog - you can find it in her signature if you search her name). Get rid of the corner tub, it is a waste of space. Get a deep soaker tub where the toilet is, toilet in the original tub corner, put shower (3x5) right when you walk in where the original vanity is, and have a double vanity where the original shower is.
I've had this conversation with a few Tartan folk. Ensuite has major design flaws IMO.
I also wanted to make the laundry and walk in closet all one - they wouldn't let me.
Old 2011-08-09, 10:13 PM
Regular User

I'm not a fan of half walls (Beckwith), but I'm an even less fan of looking at the back of furniture (Bristol)
Suggest you make some friends on here and ask to see some people's homes you may see some touches that make your mind up for you.
Old 2011-08-09, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Our decision was made based on the downpayment and the total home price.
Tartan's was higher on both counts, and with only me working at that time, it was a no brainer for us.

We both really liked the Beckwith and wanted the mudroom, but we couldn't have afforded it comfortably enough at the end of the day with the upgrades we wanted.

I do like the Tartan exteriors a lot better, Cosmogrrl is right, the Tamarack exteriors are bland, to the point of being boring.

As for the Bristol with the fourth bedroom as a loft, someone in Barrhaven sold a Bristol like that maybe two months ago? The loft looked pretty good (they had a projector in that area, almost as a mini home theatre. I still find that room a little small for a 'loft'. My wife wanted to convert the fourth bedroom into a huge walk-in closet, but I fretted a lot about the potential difficulty in trying to sell the house in the future if it was three bedroom instead of four.

Another thought about the kitchen island - it is a FANTASTIC gathering spot for parties. We've had a bunch of gatherings in our home in the 8 or so months we've lived in it, and the island is a great spot to serve food, or just gathering around to chat and what not. If you do a lot of entertaining, that may be another consideration as well.

Old 2011-08-09, 10:45 PM
Regular User

The kitchen alone would be a big enough selling feature for me. Really love a large kitchen and a gathering-point island.
Guess that means this won't be my "forever home". Wanna buy mine