Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-01-11, 11:39 PM
Regular User

Default Bell Fibe TV in Kanata

Anyone got any news on Bell Five TV in Kanata?
Old 2012-01-12, 09:51 AM
Regular User

For Barrhaven, Fiber TV is not available until end of the year (confirmed by the rep)
Old 2012-01-12, 03:05 PM
Regular User

I looked into it on the Bell website a month or so ago. And it stated the Fibe TV is only available currently in Toronto and Montreal.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think the Fibe internet might be avaiable though.
I don't even know what the hell the benefit is over what we have now to be honest.
Any one here know what is better about this service?
Old 2012-01-12, 04:02 PM
Regular User

I'll try and give an overview of Fibe.

I want to firstly state that outside of parts of Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City (I think London too) and maybe a new community in Barrhaven, there is no fiber to the home. The actual medium is still the phone line coming into the house.

Bell's internet packages called Fibe is just the name related to the different speeds. Bell has been rolling out faster speeds in many areas. The difference between your older DSL package and the faster speeds is just the technology they use on the phone line coming into your house. For the faster speeds, there are boxes around neighbourhoods calls remotes (that's where Bell has fiber running to, then it's converted to your phone line) which have to very close (within 1 km of wire distance usually) to provide the full range of different speeds. To put it technically, the old packages for DSL were using an ADSL profile where the newer ones are using either ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL or VDSL2.

So benefits are really nothing unless you go for a higher speed (Fibe 12, 16, 25). For normal web browsing, there's no benefit really to go to the higher speeds. If you watch movies (whether it be Netflix, Youtbe, any other video site), the videos will load faster on a higher tier. If you want to watch HD movies from Netflix and still be able to watch Youtube videos on another computer, I'd go with the Fibe 12 package. (Also, not all movies on Netflix are HD but the list of them is slowly growing)

Now for Fibe TV, this is their new IP (network) based TV service where it uses that VDSL2 technology to send TV over your phone line. This service does not require a satellite dish like their current service. Since it requires more network infrastructure, it is only available in parts of those cities for now.

I'll try and answer any questions if I see them.

Also, I do not work for Bell or never do, I actually prefer Rogers but I stay on top of internet options and technology related to it.

Old 2012-01-13, 08:22 AM
Regular User

Actually we have fiber to the home in Barrhaven (new parts anyway). I tried to get Teksavvy to do ADSL to the home, showed up for the install and said they couldn't. There are no analog phone lines running to the house, only Coax and Fiber and they aren't allowed to sub-lease the fiber lines from Bell yet.

That's the storey i'm getting anyways.
Old 2012-01-13, 10:36 AM
Regular User

Yeah, I thought there might be some fiber there. Sucks that they can't get access to the lines. If you're using Bell for internet, what do they give you for a modem?

Old 2012-01-13, 11:24 AM
Regular User

Wow that's a major disappointment! Bell's cap limit is so low at 220GB.

I hope Teksavvy's cable internet is an option there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north59 View Post
Actually we have fiber to the home in Barrhaven (new parts anyway). I tried to get Teksavvy to do ADSL to the home, showed up for the install and said they couldn't. There are no analog phone lines running to the house, only Coax and Fiber and they aren't allowed to sub-lease the fiber lines from Bell yet.

That's the storey i'm getting anyways.
Old 2012-01-14, 12:38 AM
Regular User

I think I'll continue to wait then. I personally don't like a satellite dish which is why I am interested in the Fibe TV.

Nevertheless, I'll revisit splitting internet + phone (either Bell, teksavvy, or rogers) then just TV with rogers.
Old 2012-01-14, 08:18 AM
Regular User

Am i correct in my understanding that if you get FIBE TV that your actually running on a very high speed internet package? The must throttle it down somehow to the package your paying for? But the TV requires much higher right? Is there any internet boost when the tv is not in use?
Old 2012-01-14, 09:50 AM
Regular User

With the new fiber connection - especially in the new Half Moon Bay area - I don't think it's an issue.