Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-11-03, 07:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
Joanie or Jer,

I move in in least than a month can't wait. Question for you. For your appliances did you have any problem bringing thru the front door. Little concerned. Let me know.

Did you bring it in via the front door or door in garage. Let's hope they don't damage anything.
No problems at all through the front door. I brought in the stove and dishwasher and Sears delivered the fridge. They had to remove the fridge doors but that is common with fridges this size.

Last edited by Jer in Ottawa; 2013-11-03 at 08:24 AM.
Old 2013-11-03, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Default Greetings!

This is our first post here!

We've purchased a Mattamy Glade, closing in July 2014. We just finished up all of our design centre upgrades, now it's just a waiting game (oh yeah, and prepping to sell our current house)... We're on Lily Pond, lot 24. Our foundation has been poured, just waiting for the framing to start!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here, looking forward to reading stories about your experiences, selling houses, moving, deals on appliances, central air/vac, etc.

Diandy
Old 2013-11-04, 08:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diandy View Post

We've purchased a Mattamy Glade, closing in July 2014. We just finished up all of our design centre upgrades, now it's just a waiting game (oh yeah, and prepping to sell our current house)... We're on Lily Pond, lot 24. Our foundation has been poured, just waiting for the framing to start!

Just wanted to say hello to everyone here, looking forward to reading stories about your experiences, selling houses, moving, deals on appliances, central air/vac, etc.

Diandy
Congrats on the purchase and good luck on the sale! Welcome to the neighbourhood...

Old 2013-11-04, 10:05 AM

Does anyone plan on finishing their basement prior to the 2 years stated on the contract? I would ideally like to finish mine within the first year (or at least start on it), but I don't know how risky it is to do this or how it would affect the warranty.
Old 2013-11-04, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Good luck today London - Hope everything goes well and as planned!

Old 2013-11-04, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diandy View Post

Diandy
Congrats Diandy...the wait will be over soon
October 17, 2013

Old 2013-11-04, 12:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisajohnson_me View Post
Does anyone plan on finishing their basement prior to the 2 years stated on the contract? I would ideally like to finish mine within the first year (or at least start on it), but I don't know how risky it is to do this or how it would affect the warranty.
Any work you do has no warranty.
Changes you make to the builders work eliminates that portion of the warranty.
If you cover up builders work and there is a problem, you will get no compensation for your work.

Not sure about this contract...what did you agree to there?

Depending on basement insulation spec, and how well they did it, you may want to redo all the insulation and vapor barrier down there.

The exterior wall framing may be ok to keep, but I would plan on redoing it. Spacing from the wall is likely wrong - you don't want a gap behind there.

Last edited by good2know; 2013-11-04 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Work = labour and materials
Old 2013-11-04, 02:28 PM

Default Closing Nov 5th - Rivertree Street

Hello Everyone,

This is our 1st post and wish we knew about this blog a long time ago. Lot of helpful tips. We had our PDI last week and noticed that lot of items were not completed or they were not installed correctly. We hope they all get fixed soon. Any one ordered granite counters and were they all scratched up? We noticed that workmanship seem to be poor at certain areas in the house.
Old 2013-11-04, 03:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forstlane View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is our 1st post and wish we knew about this blog a long time ago. Lot of helpful tips. We had our PDI last week and noticed that lot of items were not completed or they were not installed correctly. We hope they all get fixed soon. Any one ordered granite counters and were they all scratched up? We noticed that workmanship seem to be poor at certain areas in the house.
Hi, welcome to the forum. Being on Rivertree I guess your with Mattamy. A few questions, did you not have a framewalk or a site visit prior to the PDI where you may have noticed any of these deficinecies? As for the granite it is possible that it could be the stone but if they are scratches it seems like they didn't finish it properly. Because it's a natural product it will likely not be perfectly smooth but should be close...

Put EVERTHING on the PDI and whatever is not up to par put on the 30 day list so it is listed with Tarion.

Old 2013-11-04, 03:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forstlane View Post
Hello Everyone,

Hi and welcome.

I don't have a house there but have purchased several with Tarion warranty. First question is did you report the granite scratches on your pdi? If no, then take pics and report this asap.

Suggest you register at Tarion Myhome - they will send you reminders about critical dates like deadline for your 30 day document. Also make sure you report ALL outstanding and new items on that document.

Edit to add>> Just realized you have not taken possession yet. If the scratches are not on the pdi report, take pictures and report these problems before you move anything into the house.

It is critical to be able to prove that you did not cause the damage.

Also look at the Tarion Construction performance guidelines and get familiar with what conditions / problems will be fixed.

Last edited by good2know; 2013-11-04 at 03:28 PM.