Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-04-25, 08:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilki View Post
I live next to the land development. Glenview and Mattamy are simply building on Farm Land - NOT an old wreckers yard or anything. Location wise it is gold.
According to Google Maps there are a ton of cars around the barn and into the forest where the park will be...

I can quickly count about 70 cars just sitting around in the sun.
Old 2012-04-26, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqs View Post
According to Google Maps there are a ton of cars around the barn and into the forest where the park will be...

I can quickly count about 70 cars just sitting around in the sun.
probably not for long. they've already torn down one of the barns and the silo. if you read the reports you will see some of the soil is somewhat contaminated and recommended remediation. also near the corner of stonehaven and richmond road there used to be a dump there that was closed in 1958. According to the subdivision drafts it doesn't appear they are building there but i noticed them digging it up the other week.
Old 2012-05-28, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Hi all, new here!
We are considering (in the next day or two) signing with Glenview - Copperwood but have a few questions.
-For those who have singned with them have you had any issues so far? We love the 'Standard' features and the layouts but have a few reservations since they are new to home building, though they have been in business since the '60s with commercial property and the fact that there are no models yet. Mind you I think they are priced to reflect that...
-How many homes are planned to be in the community? I've heard ~1000...
Just looking for some more info before committing.

Thanks,
Jer
Old 2012-05-29, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Me again.
Any other members here that have bought in Monahan Landing. We went last night and signed with Glenview. Lot 188 Copperwood B with May 2013 closing date!

Old 2012-05-29, 04:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer in Ottawa View Post
Me again.
Any other members here that have bought in Monahan Landing. We went last night and signed with Glenview. Lot 188 Copperwood B with May 2013 closing date!
We are in the process of buying in Monahan Landing as well. We considered both Glenview and Cardel.

My wife was concerned about not having seen ANY Glenview homes/models and that's why we are leaning towards Cardel (Monarch is way too expensive and the houses are too big for us).

Do they have any pictures or anything to show other than floorplans?

I hear the area has a bright future. We just need to put up with a few years of construction until the projects are over. But I think once the area is done, the prices might go up significantly. Also, it's mainly a single-home community, so it will be less crowded and a nicer neighbourhood...

The house we 'might' be considering also closes in May 2013 I'm just worried about delays and etc since there are no roads or anything built yet and they have to depend of many many city permits and etc...but I think 12 months from now is reasonable. We'll see.

Good luck
Old 2012-05-29, 05:14 PM
Regular User

No they didn't have any other pictures to go on...That is the really scary thing. As you, we did have reservations about buying without knowing much about the builder other than they have been around since the 60's in commercial real estate. It's a gamble but we just didn't like the Mattamy communities. Homes are nice but lots are smaller in length by about 15'. We decided to go for it while the prices are right and the incentives are great.
We did look at the Cardel and Monarch but the prices were out of our comfort zone. The Monarch homes are way too big, we looked at the smallest one that was a bungalow (1900 sq/ft) starting at $450K, Next!
The Copperwood had everything on our wish list for a 2nd home except for a 2 car garage but I just couldn't justify and extra 40K for a second parking spot, 300 sq/ft and a slightly bigger lot.
I think in the next 3-5 years the homes will be ~20K more. Time will tell though!

Last edited by Jer in Ottawa; 2012-05-29 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
No they didn't have any other pictures to go on...That is the really scary thing. As you, we did have reservations about buying without knowing much about the builder other than they have been around since the 60's in commercial real estate. It's a gamble but we just didn't like the Mattamy communities. Homes are nice but lots are smaller in length by about 15'. We decided to go for it while the prices are right and the incentives are great.
We did look at the Cardel and Monarch but the prices were out of our comfort zone. The Monarch homes are way too big, we looked at the smallest one that was a bungalow (1900 sq/ft) starting at $450K, Next!
The Copperwood had everything on our wish list for a 2nd home except for a 2 car garage but I just couldn't justify and extra 40K for a second parking spot, 300 sq/ft and a slightly bigger lot.
I think in the next 3-5 years the homes will be ~20K more. Time will tell though!
I wish we could convince ourselves with the single-garage...but that is our firm requirement, and as such, we will have to pay a whole lot more. I'm not happy about it...but it is what it is
Both Glenview and Cardels smallest double-garage are comparable in price. Cardel is a bit more expensive but they have a model home so it helps us visualize better. We'll stop by Glenview tonight before we head out to Cardel and make our deposit. You never know...they might convinces us to take the risk...

House prices in general are just ridiculous! we are first time home buyers and I am scared as hell...
Old 2012-05-29, 10:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMessi View Post
I wish we could convince ourselves with the single-garage...but that is our firm requirement, and as such, we will have to pay a whole lot more. I'm not happy about it...but it is what it is
Both Glenview and Cardels smallest double-garage are comparable in price. Cardel is a bit more expensive but they have a model home so it helps us visualize better. We'll stop by Glenview tonight before we head out to Cardel and make our deposit. You never know...they might convinces us to take the risk...

House prices in general are just ridiculous! we are first time home buyers and I am scared as hell...
Homes are a good investment especially compared to rent. Unless your still living at home your essentially throwing away your rent money. I was scared as hell when I bought my first home and it only cost 127K but 7 years later I sold it for 190K and jumped into a new home. I understand the draw for building new home but unless you have 75k worth of equity or a down payment you should really be looking into a cheaper resale. Starting off with a 375+K home is a tough pill to swallow. Get into the market live in your home for a few years and move on, it is much more palatable this way.

Just my opinion and to each his own.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:53 AM
Regular User

I remember all too well that scary feeling of being a first time home buyer. We all experience it. It's actually one of the reasons that I became a Mortgage Agent so that I can help alleviate some of that anxiety.

If it helps, I have compiled some stats on the Ottawa housing market. Since the early 1950s, Ottawa houses have experienced an average price increase of 6.15%, making purchasing real estate in Ottawa a sound investment over the long haul.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your new home will go up 6.15% in value next year. That is difficult to predict. The past 60 years have seen their own share of peaks and valleys (for example, in 1973 home prices rose 25.3% and in 1961 decreasing about 0.8%), but over the long haul the trend has been 6.15%. Averages become much more reliable when viewed over a longer period of time so if the past 60 years are any indication, buying real estate in Ottawa is a great investment.

Keep in mind too that purchasing a home also benefits you with the equity that you build by reducing your mortgage balance every month. Double the benefit.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi Jer in Ottawa,
Just wondering where you got that starting price ($450K)? The Monarch website lists the starting price as essentially $500K for the same model (Shire model at $499,990 to be precise). I agree, even $450K is a lot for house that size, so close to the high-tension power lines.