Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-06, 04:29 PM

Default Tartan, Phoenix Tamarack

Hello, newb here.

My girlfriend and I are considering purchasing a home in the near future.
We are looking in Findlay Creek/Greeley area.

We are looking for bunglaows(Phoenix has a lot of choices), and have them narrowed down to the Phoeix Nodus, and the Tartan Linden.(we are also considering the Tamarack Quail)
It seems that Phoenix has a very annecdotal poor reputation(I heard from a friends uncles cousins neighbour that they are no good).
I want to know if they do have good service and build quality.
I have not heard much about Tartan, but would like to know if they are a decent builder too.

I also have concerns regarding Phoenix's Shadow Ridge area. Since the area is bordered to the south by 3 gravel/sand pits, is the air really dusty in the summer months?

How is snow removal in Shadow Ridge?
How is the common septic system?

Any other info on either builder/model would be appreciated.
Old 2012-03-06, 05:17 PM
Regular User

Hi Karl_1052

I own a Tartan home in Findlay Creek, and have several friends that own a Tartan home as well as a Tamarack, I also sold a Tamarack home last month in FC. I would recommend either company, I am happy with my Tartan home.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
OTTAWA, ON K2G-3J7
Direct 613 355-0995
Office: 613-254-6580 (24 hrs)
E-mail: rsaikaley@sutton.com
Old 2012-03-06, 06:08 PM
Regular User

We live in Tartan Silverbell, and we love it. I think the Silverbell is a little bit more sophisticated then Linden, but unfortunately there is no model home built, so people usually prefer to buy something they can see in real life. We were lucky to get it for the almost same price as Linden, but now it is not the case.
Old 2012-03-06, 08:23 PM
Regular User

Tartan is a great builder, they offer really good standards and have some really nice selections at the design center. They are good at working with you and Kim was great when it came to helping me finalize options, she was honest and upfront and in no way did she ever try to sell me on every upgrade.

Do not be afraid to buy a home without a model to view, often after going through homes, you can visualize the floorplans pretty well, we have done this twice and been pleased, they cannot build a model after every plan.

Often, Tartan can set you up with a homeowner with the existing model you wish to view (I believe the homeowner gets a little cash incentive so most are happy to oblige giving tours of their home). Though if you are looking at the linden that won't be necessary.
Old 2012-03-08, 03:55 PM
Regular User

We just bought our 4th Tamarack home within our family (personally my 2nd). Consistent build quality, never had any structural problems *knock on wood*. All cosmetic and all taken care reasonably.

My neighbors had Tartan homes in the last house and they seemed happy with their homes and service.
Old 2012-03-08, 04:44 PM
Regular User

Just got a flyer in the mail from Tartan, offering $2,500 design bonus (on top of the regular bonuses) if you purchase any new home in Findlay Creek, Havencrest, Havencourt, or sohowest before March 31, 2012.

Seem like they are really pushing to complete these communities. I know they started building in Findlay Creek and sohowest quite a while back and I thought those 2 communities would have been sold out by now...
Old 2012-03-08, 07:45 PM
Regular User

perhaps they want to sell homes before the budget ?
Old 2012-03-08, 08:01 PM
Regular User

wouldn't be surprised, g2k as it could be bad. Many houses in our area have dropped prices and they are not moving at all.

We shall see i guess.
Old 2012-03-09, 06:27 PM

What is G2K? I did a google search, and all I found were sites with links to jamaica.
Old 2012-03-09, 06:31 PM
Regular User

oh its just a short form of my nickname