Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-21, 04:00 PM
Regular User

Exclamation Front door lock - Key no longer turns?

Worked fine until the other day my girlfriend was at home and she heard someone at the door in what she describes as "using the handle, trying to get in".

It was around noon and daylight, so she suspected it was me fumbling with the keys (odd as I would be at work and not likely to surprise her at home w/o calling - she was off for March Break BTW). She than thought maybe it was a trade who has the wrong house.

Anyhow, she saw the person through the window standing next door afterwards and didn't think anything of it. When I came home that evening my key didn't work, nor did hers.

We have the Weiser Smart Key lock system and we've tried to follow the steps to "reset the key" however those don't seem to work either.
http://www.weiserlock.com/Products/S.../SmartKey.aspx

Should we just get a new lock or is there something else we might be able to try?
Old 2012-03-21, 04:32 PM
Regular User

kids are known to put super glue in locks. when i was a locksmith i had to change a few.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Hey -
Same situation happened to me with the door into the garage shortly after closing - mattamy came to fix it but it's done it again so it looks like i'll need to call to see if they'll come out again.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:49 AM
Regular User

I think I'll be replacing that deadbolt!
Old 2012-05-02, 12:50 PM
Regular User

Just to revive this thread for discussion. Search brought me here using “Smart Key”. My neighbor inquired if my house was broken into last week, I was puzzled because breaks in tend to be very obvious.
She advised their front door was broken into/breached last week around 12:30AM, alarm went off as they slept, came down to front door wide open & nothing missing. Upon further conversation I was informed same “type” of incident has occurred to 3 or 4 other houses on the block last year. However at different times. 12:30PM, 3PM & 1 other just after midnight. Police pretty much brush it off as the wind because there are no signs of forced entry.
All homes had alarms. Found it surprising because at that time of night, I’m having a smoke in the garage or working away in the loft on late night server issues.
I heard absolutely nothing as a lot of the alarm installs have a weak little siren in the basement.

So to my point. A tool called the KTT-4 Kwik torque tool for $60-$80 off the internet & 10 seconds appears to be all that is needed to open these Smart/Kwik locks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-h64WwfW8

This is the how & the why is a completely different discussion all together.
So have others experienced or heard of similar issues? Door wide open with nothing missing, locks oddly failing, suspicious looking folks heard/seen "using the handle, trying to get in"?

Maybe I’m a little paranoid, but the builder grade Weisers are coming off my house tonight.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:59 PM
Regular User

same thing with the bump key. leaves no damage.
Old 2012-05-02, 01:03 PM
Regular User

I assume they were testing out to see if the alarm systems worked or were armed.
Old 2012-05-02, 01:08 PM
Regular User

Very good point. That was my 1st thought, but assumed a rookie would have trouble with the claimed "Bump Guard" protection.
I say rookie because all that “seems” to be done is make the owners paranoid vs theft or other. In this case, was fairly clear the owners were home. But agree on testing the waters.
Old 2012-05-02, 02:32 PM
Regular User

That freaks me out! Funny thing is, when I first saw the Smart Lock concept, I thought a) how cool! and 2) how long until someone cracks this code?!
Old 2012-05-02, 02:43 PM
Regular User

I'd report it to the police! Seriously. It can't hurt. They may not come, but they may see a trend and warn the community. It sounds suspicious to me.

Reminds me to follow up with the security company!

Last edited by HowdyNeighbour; 2012-05-02 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Oops typo