Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2013-06-04, 12:55 AM
Regular User

Default What exactly does a conduit cover?

I am not making the same mistake this time around: I am having a conduit installed behind the TV. However, I am a little unsure as to what wires actually go in the conduit. All of them?

Our DC consultant said we can have the conduit but she still talked about adding a cable outlet on the side wall of our family room to hook up the cable...but doesn't the cable wire go down the conduit?

And are conduits usually dropped directly below the TV area?

I am really not sure why I would pay for a conduit if I am going to have a cable wire snaking across my family room floor anyway!?

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2013-06-04, 06:32 AM
Regular User

We upgraded with Minto to have a conduit going from behind the TV above the fireplace down to the basement where I have all my components (Rogers HDPVR, Blu-Ray, AV Receiver, etc.). I also have a cable outlet on the side wall in the corner, but next to it is a second conduit that runs to the basement that Minto installed as part of the upgrade.

For now Iím running my cable from that outlet through the conduit to the basement and connected it to my Rogers PVR and my HDMI cable and speaker wire is running from my components up through the conduit behind the TV. Once I finish my basement Iíll move the cable outlet to the basement and Iíll probably put a plate over it. Had I thought about it at the time I just would have had Minto move that cable outlet to the basement in the first place.

You should find out if there's a second conduit next to the cable outlet going to the basement. Keep in mind if you have all your components in a separate room you'll need an RF remote like the Harmony 900.
Old 2013-06-04, 06:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
I am not making the same mistake this time around: I am having a conduit installed behind the TV. However, I am a little unsure as to what wires actually go in the conduit. All of them?

Our DC consultant said we can have the conduit but she still talked about adding a cable outlet on the side wall of our family room to hook up the cable...but doesn't the cable wire go down the conduit?

I am really not sure why I would pay for a conduit if I am going to have a cable wire snaking across my family room floor anyway!?
I have a conduit from above the fireplace that runs to the basement, then another one from the corner of the room (where I'll put my equipment hutch) to the basement. I will run the HDMI down the conduit and up the other one. Or if I go back to an RF wireless setup, I can still put all my equipment in the basement.

This time I also added an ethernet/cable plate both above the fireplace (next to the conduit) as well as where the equipment goes. This will leave me free to only run HDMI and centre channel speaker wire through the conduit. Last time I found myself running too much through the single conduit.
Old 2013-06-04, 09:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:

HDMI cables, speaker cables, cable wire for the TV can all go in the conduit.

It's best if you figure out how your layout for that room is going to be like before finalizing your conduit/cabling, etc.

If you intend on doing surround sound in that room, you can get Concept to wire in your speakers for you, so that you don't need to run them through any conduits.

As Trepex mentioned, one conduit to the basement and a second from the basement to the corner of your family room is probably the easiest way to do it.

Old 2013-06-04, 09:46 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone! I will give it all some thought!

Is it possible to have no equipment stand and just have all cable boxes and such in the basement? I am not sure this is what I want (because it must be a pain having to go downstairs every time something needs to be accessed), but I am pretty sure that's what my friends have in their place. The TV is above the fireplace and there is not one cable or box in sight...so neat looking!

You guys have been very helpful! Thanks!! :-)

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek

Old 2013-06-04, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I will give it all some thought!

Is it possible to have no equipment stand and just have all cable boxes and such in the basement? I am not sure this is what I want (because it must be a pain having to go downstairs every time something needs to be accessed), but I am pretty sure that's what my friends have in their place. The TV is above the fireplace and there is not one cable or box in sight...so neat looking!

You guys have been very helpful! Thanks!! :-)
Yep - you can do that if you have a RF receiver/remote. It is what J&C and Trepex both mentioned in their posts.

Not sure what layout/floorplan you have, but some builders offer a media center upgrade or you can inquire about built-ins in the great room as well. Just a thought.

Old 2013-06-04, 10:18 AM
Regular User

Oh ok...will look into that too....lol (Gonna be a busy day I'm thinking...)

We have the Tartan Royal Edward so I am not sure built-ins would look good...but now that you mention it...maybe I should have another look at the floor plan.

In any case, I don't think the cabinet designer will be very happy if I come back with one more thing. I've asked him to do the pantry wall in the kitchen at least 4-5 times and I don't think he's impressed. Funny how you sink so much money into a house only to be given the impression you are too demanding.

We are already over a week late with our pre-construction list and the whole thing is starting to stress me like crazy. I thought this was supposed to be a good experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
Yep - you can do that if you have a RF receiver/remote. It is what J&C and Trepex both mentioned in their posts.

Not sure what layout/floorplan you have, but some builders offer a media center upgrade or you can inquire about built-ins in the great room as well. Just a thought.

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek

Old 2013-06-04, 11:59 AM
Regular User

We have our tv mounted above the fireplace & all the components are right under the tv in the basement, we didn't have a conduit installed or anything like that but we did get a power outlet installed behind the tv above the fireplace, our installer fished the wires (2 HDMI wires) from behind the tv to down the basement, so everything in family room looks real slick and clean. For the reciever we didn't get those fancy harmony remote, what our installer told us to get is the IR reciever they sell at TheSource, it's about $40 bucks, all you do is place one of the recievers anywhere in your family room & the 2nd reciever down in the basement beside your components and BAM everything works seemlessly while at the same time the cost is minimized.
Old 2013-06-04, 12:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
We have our tv mounted above the fireplace & all the components are right under the tv in the basement, we didn't have a conduit installed or anything like that but we did get a power outlet installed behind the tv above the fireplace, our installer fished the wires (2 HDMI wires) from behind the tv to down the basement, so everything in family room looks real slick and clean. For the reciever we didn't get those fancy harmony remote, what our installer told us to get is the IR reciever they sell at TheSource, it's about $40 bucks, all you do is place one of the recievers anywhere in your family room & the 2nd reciever down in the basement beside your components and BAM everything works seemlessly while at the same time the cost is minimized.
We're doing the same thing (ie: no conduit but using HDMI cables to put everything in unfinished part of basement right below the TV above the fireplace) but we'll buy the 'fancy' remotes so we don't have to have an extra receiver in the family room and keep it very clean with all the boxes (ie: Bell, DVD) in the basement.

We also did something similar for our master where we'll have another wall-mounted TV - the cables have been run to our master walk-in closet where we'll keep the Bell box.

Good luck figuring this out StrayCat - I know it took us a little while to work out all the details!
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-06-04, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieP View Post
We're doing the same thing (ie: no conduit but using HDMI cables to put everything in unfinished part of basement right below the TV above the fireplace) but we'll buy the 'fancy' remotes so we don't have to have an extra receiver in the family room and keep it very clean with all the boxes (ie: Bell, DVD) in the basement.

We also did something similar for our master where we'll have another wall-mounted TV - the cables have been run to our master walk-in closet where we'll keep the Bell box.

Good luck figuring this out StrayCat - I know it took us a little while to work out all the details!
The reciever isn't big, it's super small (3.5 x 3.5 inches), I actually found a pic of the exact one;