Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2014-07-01, 10:37 AM
Ottawa_Home Ottawa_Home is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default indoor inground pool

We bought a home with an indoor pool. It was not a factor at time of purchase. Until recently we see the electricity bill, it is too much to maintain considering
a). we are not frequent users
b). kids are too young

So we are thinking about leave it empty and build a floor over it for now. When kids grow older then we can convert it back to a pool. But it seems to be more complicated than we thought after doing some research online. The general concern is that the stress from the ground water below the pool would damage the bottom of the pool. The inground pool is concrete pour one, not sure

a). if it can handle the pressure from the ground water below the bottom surface;
b). can the side walls of the pool be stable if the pool is empty?


Any comments?

Thanks
a new comer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2014-07-01, 11:07 AM
richyrich richyrich is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kanata
Posts: 150
Default

This is a pretty niche question, you probably need to get in an expert and establish how the pool construction/pour was done, if you don't know. I'd be looking for a concrete pool company and asking if they'll come do some kind of inspection. If you can find the company that originally installed it, even better.

As a layman, if it's completely concrete, I'd assume it's a steel-reinforced structure and I'd seriously doubt it needs water to keep it from collapsing. I'd also be surprised if it wasn't very well drained underneath - surely a risk to any pool like this is a rise in groundwater lifting it up so there must be precautions taken.

If it's using electricity to heat the water, have you considered changing it to gas or a green energy source?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2014-07-01, 11:26 AM
Ottawa_Home Ottawa_Home is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Richy, it is a good question. I asked why the bill is so high and was told that it is due to water pump, dehumidifier/ventilation for indoor pool, not sure if the water is heated using gas or electricity.

I am thinking about putting in some solar panel on the roof, but the initial investment is high (40K for up to 10KW system). You could get return by selling the electricity to government at a fixed price for next 20 years. I am getting a report on my house and see if the roof can make enough money to cover the pool cost.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2014-07-01, 01:52 PM
WellThatsLovely WellThatsLovely is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oakville
Posts: 770
Default

Never ever drain a pool based on advice from anyone who hasn't seen your pool in person. (and ideally has some background in pools).
Draining your pool can completely destroy it... and possibly destroy your house.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2014-07-01, 05:20 PM
sam2016 sam2016 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa_Home View Post
Richy, it is a good question. I asked why the bill is so high and was told that it is due to water pump, dehumidifier/ventilation for indoor pool, not sure if the water is heated using gas or electricity.

I am thinking about putting in some solar panel on the roof, but the initial investment is high (40K for up to 10KW system). You could get return by selling the electricity to government at a fixed price for next 20 years. I am getting a report on my house and see if the roof can make enough money to cover the pool cost.

Thanks for the info.
Who told you it would cost $40k for solar?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2014-07-01, 05:29 PM
good2know's Avatar
good2know good2know is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa_Home View Post
We bought a home with an indoor pool. It was not a factor at time of purchase. Until recently we see the electricity bill, it is too much to maintain considering
a). we are not frequent users
b). kids are too young

So we are thinking about leave it empty and build a floor over it for now. When kids grow older then we can convert it back to a pool. But it seems to be more complicated than we thought after doing some research online. The general concern is that the stress from the ground water below the pool would damage the bottom of the pool.
Any comments?

Thanks
a new comer
That's a very valuable asset. I would adjust lifestyles to use it more - exercise / relaxation for yourselves. IMO no such thing as kids to young to use it - properly supervised, flotation assists - there are moms and tots swim programs at what 6 months old?

Wondering too how did you calculate the swimming pool electrical costs portion of your bill?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2014-07-01, 05:42 PM
WellThatsLovely WellThatsLovely is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oakville
Posts: 770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
That's a very valuable asset. I would adjust lifestyles to use it more - exercise / relaxation for yourselves. IMO no such thing as kids to young to use it - properly supervised, flotation assists - there are moms and tots swim programs at what 6 months old?
Yup... my 2 year old learned to go down the slide by himself this afternoon and LOVED it.

The trick is to keep them away from people who are afraid of water or can't swim. Kids are born naturally able to swim and hold their breath, you just have to teach them how to get back up to the top without panicking
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2014-07-01, 05:46 PM
sam2016 sam2016 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
Yup... my 2 year old learned to go down the slide by himself this afternoon and LOVED it.

The trick is to keep them away from people who are afraid of water or can't swim. Kids are born naturally able to swim and hold their breath, you just have to teach them how to get back up to the top without panicking
I did grow up with a pool and have zero fear of water now some might say thats a bad thing but i do think it is a good thing knowing how to swim etc.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2014-07-02, 08:50 AM
Ottawa_Home Ottawa_Home is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks for the response. You made me wonder if the pool does contribute the most to the total $700 monthly. Does it make sense to you?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2014-07-02, 10:06 AM
good2know's Avatar
good2know good2know is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,782
Default

yowzer thats a big bill … fam member runs a hot tub with heaters and fans going all the time. Her bill is nothing like that.

If you can get the power consumption figures for each device you can figure it out. There will be a label.

Are you Hydro One? Is the bill based on actual readings or is it an estimate?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inground Pool gerapau Ottawa 109 2015-10-20 04:53 PM
Please share your inground pool pictures ginkybiloba Ottawa 10 2013-05-07 07:27 PM
Inground pool maintenance? Costs? Fingers Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 1 2009-07-18 10:56 PM
Planning an inground pool after possession? Nikka Ottawa 28 2008-08-21 04:37 PM
Size of backyard for an inground pool Nikka Ottawa 16 2008-04-21 01:12 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.