Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-01-02, 07:33 PM
Regular User

We are seriously considering purchasing a Kenson in Bridlewood. Would love to hear if anyone has actually moved in yet, and any advise they would pass on now that they are actually living there i.e.: things that could be done differently/changed, what works what doesn't etc...
Thanks!!
Old 2016-01-02, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Other than what has been mentioned in this thread, I've seen an upgrade done on a Kenson under construction that is building a covered deck. There's a necessary architectural change: shortening the side family room window that faces the patio door/dining area to accommodate this.

The other upgrade that we have done but never mentioned, and noticed that others don't think of is widening the drawer bank in the bathrooms - especially those with double sinks. And it's not very expensive to do with Deslaurier.

Enjoy
Old 2016-01-04, 12:09 PM

@sestafanos Thanks so much for the idea re: drawer banks. So smart, and I definitely hadn't thought of that.

And that covered deck is such an interesting idea. Now, I will have to go for a drive and have a look!
Old 2016-01-06, 10:50 AM

Hi, I am the OP. Time flies fast! We've moved in for 2 months, and very satisfied with our Kenson. George, the GM, actually walked us through for the pre-closing inspection, and I can see that he really takes pride in their construction. The customer service rep. Jenny, always so quick responding to any issue (all minor) we have.

The bridlewood location is so wonderful! It's only 200-300 meters away from the woods and trails, my dog absolutely loves it.

I don't have much comments on what could be done differently/changed since we didn't have much changes. Besides some upgrades that's purely personal taste, we only change the size of the basement windows. I think adding one more basement window would be great.

Just went through several days of very cold weather, I think the insulation of the house is very good. My thermostat is set at 70F, and I don't feel cold anywhere in the house.

Overall, I am a very happy customer of HN Homes. It's our first new home purchasing experience and it's been a enjoyable one due to the quality home they build and their extended effort. I sincerely wish there are more beautiful homes built by them on the street and hope that keep up the quality so more people would enjoy these nicely designed home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
We are seriously considering purchasing a Kenson in Bridlewood. Would love to hear if anyone has actually moved in yet, and any advise they would pass on now that they are actually living there i.e.: things that could be done differently/changed, what works what doesn't etc...
Thanks!!
Old 2016-01-06, 11:11 AM

We used the film bought from Lowes on the front door, it's does the job.

The window covering is giving us a headache. The big windows are beautiful. They let in a lot of sun. On a sunny day in November, our home temperature is 4-5F degree above the thermostat setting. We've looked at Hunter Douglas, initially considering their honeycomb shade due to it's insulation. However, the point of having large windows is to have a nice view. So now we are considering the sheer shade which looks really nice, but with a hefty price tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlue View Post
Congratulations on purchasing your Kenson songbird! Are you building in Bridlewood or Riverside South?

My suggestions would be to start looking for your appliances right away and spend time at the supplier showrooms to get a good sense of what you want. We went to Deslaurier and Euro tile so many times!! The trip to the hardwood supplier in Orleans was well worth it too.

As for the brick - are you getting a corner lot? I'm not sure you'd see it much otherwise and I'm sure it's a pricey upgrade.

I'm in denial about window coverings lol. We move in 2.5 months and we haven't started looking into it. We'll get the bedroom and ensuite windows done immediately and wait for everything else. I want to get a feel for lighting and such before committing to anything.

I see most everyone in Bridlewood has done something to glass on the front door for privacy. Are these DIY films or are there professionals to call for this kind of thing?
Old 2016-01-12, 11:42 AM

Hello Everyone - New to the forum, but really enjoyed/used your experiences with builders. It has been a while that I was looking at HN in Bridlewood and same as many of you, felt in love with their models and builds.
Good news is we finally signed a contract with them for Kenson and cannot be excited more.
They recently released remaining lots in Bridlewood and we were able to get lot 207 which we were waiting for such long time.
So far, the contract process and their cooperation was great. They also gave us more time to decide about break package. We are thinking about balck breaks which should be Package "D", if I'm not mistaken. Also, for sure we will have extended porch. The quoted price for extended porch is $6K to $7K which I think will worth is as the lot is corner and it gives Kenson a look similar to Elmhurst (which I love)
Has anyone done this in the past (I couldn't find any in Bridlewwod though)?

Last edited by bbboys; 2016-01-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 2016-01-12, 04:03 PM
Regular User

Congrats bbboys! Very nice lot. We have package "D" and really like it. We didn't do extended porch but this is great idea. Good luck with your choices
Old 2016-01-14, 02:58 PM
Regular User

We move in to our Elmhurst next week and I'm getting quotes on window treatments for the bedrooms. These beautiful, large windows are killer on the wallet!!! The quotes are all very expensive. What kind of blinds did everyone get? Who did you buy from? Can you PM me prices if you don't want to share online? Thanks
Old 2016-01-16, 05:57 PM

Gongrats Cobalt! I can imagine how excited you are. please keep up posted about your decision. Has anyone looked at automatic kind of plate blinders?
Old 2016-01-18, 08:32 PM

Default Blind Depot

Hi, I heard that this place has good prices... though I can't vouch for them personally! http://blinddepotanddecor.com/