Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-07-16, 10:39 PM
Regular User

Default Central vac outlet?

Hi guys, another question (yes this happens when I move because I'm always experiencing new things!)

I might know the answer, but I can't seem to find it on Tarion.

I have all my piping and inlets for my central vac provided by the builder. My dad bought a central vac and went to install it when he noticed there is no dedicated outlet for the central vac. The closest one is either 15-20ft away, and you can't run an extension cord to it.

We asked the builder if we are missing one and the answer we were told is "Oh yeah...well we'll just start doing it on future models"....which kind of ticked me off hearing this (second hand, I wasn't here when they stopped by to tell my dad).
Now, I remember someone mentioning before the difference between "complete" roughed in and "roughed" in central vac. I guess complete means they give you the outlet, and regular roughed in means TS??

If this is a TS situation, does that mean I need to get an electrician to come in now to properly install a dedicated electrical outlet for my central vac (on my own dime obviously), with city approvals or is it just something we can have a friend who does electrical to do?

I don't know if it's code for them to even provide one or not, only noticed AFTER I submitted my 30 day report last week, and I'm more irked by their "TS for you, we'll just do it on future homes" attitude.
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2014-07-16, 11:15 PM
Regular User

Why can't you run an extension cord to it?
Old 2014-07-16, 11:22 PM
Regular User

You require a permit for the electrical outlet.

http://www.esasafe.com/consumers/per...u-need-to-know
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2014-07-17, 08:46 AM
Regular User

Don't shoot the messenger but,,,

the builder is not required by Tarion or electrical code to put in the required dedicated outlet for central vacuums unless they complete the whole installation and install the vacuum but I agree, it is pretty lame that they did not install the outlet.

You are right that extension cords are not permitted to be used to connect the central vacuum because extension cords are not rated as permanent wiring. Until you get the outlet installed you can use an extension cord to run the unit provided that when you are finished vacuuming you unplug the extension cord.
Old 2014-07-17, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Even though it's "roughed" in because they didn't install the canister...they did complete all the piping and inlets (I've heard some people say that they just do a real rough job where there's the opportunity to choose between garage {recommended} and furnace install of canister) and they just put some piping). In my case, I purchase the home as an inventory one, so it was already at drywall stage, I couldn't request any movements. All piping is wired and dedicated solely to the furnace room (I checked through the entire house and all pipes lead to the furnace).

So to me that's even worse there is no plug....technically I would say that's more complete than being "roughed" in, they even acknowledge that yep we should have put one in...so that in itself is an admission on their part they forgot something.
Even if I were to try and run an extension cord temporarily, it would be going either in to a whole other room (over 20ft away) or going across the floor and across the drain in the furnace (unsafe to me).

I read an electrical code (but not sure how old it is or if valid) that said (along lines of/paraphrasing): One receptacle shall be provided for each central vac where completed duct work is installed (and to me this is complete since there are no other options to rough elsewhere), and that it's to be a dedicated line.
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
June 4, 2020

Old 2014-07-17, 10:02 AM
Regular User

What I would do: go back to builder one more time and tell them it's not to code. If they refuse tell them you are going to report it to ESA. In addition call the electrical contractor and explain situation and that ESA is next step.

If that doesn't get it done do call ESA and report a non- compliance concern.

So I did this in last build when service manager did not agree with or care about three electrical concerns. The ESA rep came. Confirmed the problems and called the electrical sub contractor. There was a senior electrician in the house in 15 minutes.

His only request was that in future I contact them first. They don't like fault found reports on their license file.
Old 2014-07-17, 11:09 AM
Regular User

Actually spoke with two incredibly friendly/helpful electricians who both confirmed it's code that a dedicated outlet has to be provided beside the piping (code is 26-710{L}).

Called my builder and just politely mentioned what we were told by site super and they will call the original trades who wired the system and just mention. I also informed of the code so said I'm backed by electricians. Didn't mention yet about going to ESA, but if they come back again saying no you don't really need it, then I will mention ESA and say I'll hire an electrician and send the bill to you...but let's hope it never gets there, trying to be understanding/patient with this builder lol
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
June 4, 2020

Old 2014-07-17, 11:25 AM
Regular User

Interesting it's code. I paid for an extra outlet.

Old 2014-07-17, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Hmm i'm interested as well. Can any other Mattamy home owners chime in and let us know if they've received electrical outlets where they have the central vac pipe terminating?

We have our PDI coming up tuesday so i'll be sure to have a look and see if there was one added.

My only question is, technically if you're not getting the central vac through them... they don't know for sure where you'll be install you're vac and in the case... where they put the outlet might not be where you decide to actually install the system.

Mattamy | Half Moon Bay - Phase 2 | Elm 'B'
Closing Date: July 29, 2014
Old 2014-07-17, 12:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessiesens View Post
Actually spoke with two incredibly friendly/helpful electricians who both confirmed it's code that a dedicated outlet has to be provided beside the piping (code is 26-710{L}).

Called my builder and just politely mentioned what we were told by site super and they will call the original trades who wired the system and just mention. I also informed of the code so said I'm backed by electricians. Didn't mention yet about going to ESA, but if they come back again saying no you don't really need it, then I will mention ESA and say I'll hire an electrician and send the bill to you...but let's hope it never gets there, trying to be understanding/patient with this builder lol
Please remember the contact electrical contractor pre ESA. The central vac installer is not the electri sub