Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-02-23, 03:11 PM

Default Phoenix Homes Upgrades

We’re looking to purchase a Phoenix Homes “Strathmore” model. They’ve won a design award and we really enjoyed the townhome.

We visited the sales centre in Findlay Creek (Pathways) where we’d like to purchase. They were unable to give us even a ballpark estimate of upgrade costs - hardwood on main floor, stairs and upper level, tiling up the 18’(?) foot fireplace, etc. We were advised to visit the design centre on a Saturday, but not that Saturday, since it was closed..

Today we visited the design centre. They were unable to give any form of pricing whatsoever. We were told to buy the home and pricing would be provided a few months later.

Now, we’ve purchased three other new builds since 2010 and have not encountered this issue with Mattamy or Tamarack.

Does anyone have a pricing guide for the upgrades that they would be willing to post? We’re having a hard time forming over $500k+ and having no idea what any of the upgrades will cost. The home is pretty bare bones - carpet everywhere.

Thanks!
Old 2019-02-24, 05:08 PM
Regular User

Unfortunately Phoenix doesn't give any upgrade prices until your design appointment, but I actually think this is pretty standard for all builders--some builders may give you a "general" list with a few popularly requested upgrades, but I think there is such a big range upgrade options that it isn't feasible for them to give you anything beforehand (depends on your layout, community, level of upgrade, etc). I'm actually surprised Mattamy/Tamarack gave you the info before buying (because we had also gone to their sales centres and beyond a short list of common upgrades, they also refused to give us pricing info).

Anyways, we closed on a townhouse in Barrhaven last year so if you like, feel free to PM me and I can give you what I have. There is no standard pricing guide, you basically ask for what you want and they price it out individually for you. Unfortunately I don't remember all the details of our prices, and it's likely that it could be very different for you (different community plus prices could have changed over time).

Out of your list, I can only give you a vague idea of hardwood. It cost us $1000 to upgrade the kitchen from default sheet vinyl to hardwood (which was cheaper than upgrading to ceramic tile, ~$1500 for tile IIRC). Our kitchen was pretty small, only 9'x9'. I don't know how that scales up in area (the rest of the first floor was hardwood by default as part of a purchase promo). We weren't interested in hardwood stairs so didn't get pricing for that, and did not have a fireplace so I can't help there.

I will say that in general, I felt that Phoenix offered pretty reasonable upgrade prices (compared to what I've heard/seen from other builders). Actually there were a few upgrades that I felt was underpriced (which was surprising). Most, of course, are still probably pricier than if you were to do it after the fact--but not by much, so I felt that it was worth it just to get it done before move-in. There were a few things I felt like they were "gouging" us on the price (but again, not any more so than other builders) so we just didn't get those ones.
Old 2019-02-25, 05:54 PM
Regular User

My friend just bought a strathmore and i know the upgrade prices. What items are you looking for quotes on?

We built w minto and we were given an uograde price sheet right away. They also have them at all the sales centers. So thats annoying.
Old 2019-03-02, 11:51 AM
Regular User

I purchased a town in pathways as well (and have gone through the design centre process). Prices are pretty standard in comparison with pricing sheets I have seen from other builders. That said, the house does indeed come barebones so upgrades add them quickly, but, as i said, the prices are fair. Even with all the upgrades i did to 'modernize' the barebones home, I still got the house at a steal compared to other builders, so do not fret.
Old 2019-07-28, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
My friend just bought a strathmore and i know the upgrade prices. What items are you looking for quotes on?

We built w minto and we were given an uograde price sheet right away. They also have them at all the sales centers. So thats annoying.
Hey!

We are looking for pricing for:

Hardwood on the stairs
Hardwood first floor
Chef’s kitchen
Tiles in bathrooms

Thanks!