Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-03-04, 02:22 PM
Regular User

Yes that was based on that assumption. However if it is short one car depth driveway, does this mean that thesrcond vehicle would partially stick out onto the road? If yes, then i can see this being a problem too.
Old 2019-03-04, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
Yes that was based on that assumption. However if it is short one car depth driveway, does this mean that the second vehicle would partially stick out onto the road? If yes, then i can see this being a problem too.
My understanding is that any vehicle in a driveway must not extend past the curb. A neighbor ran into this with an RV.
Old 2019-03-04, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonMacpherson View Post
Unfortunately we don't have property rights in canada unlike the US.
Be glad you don't own a home in a US development governed by an HOA. They've been known to be much more strict than Canadian municipal bylaws.
Old 2019-03-04, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
Be glad you don't own a home in a US development governed by an HOA. They've been known to be much more strict than Canadian municipal bylaws.
Yup, friend with a company similar to mine cannot park his work truck in his driveway overnight. And by work truck, I mean your standard van with commercial lettering on it.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2019-03-04, 07:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
Yes that was based on that assumption. However if it is short one car depth driveway, does this mean that thesrcond vehicle would partially stick out onto the road? If yes, then i can see this being a problem too.
We have new neighbours that are discovering this the hard way. They have a sidewalk that runs through their double driveway. Problem is they have a need to park 3 vehicles. When they first moved in they parked over the sidewalk effectively blocking the sidewalk. This went on for a little while then one day while walking I saw a ticket on the car blocking the sidewalk.

Now they've taken to parking up to the sidewalk, which means the rear of the vehicle is out in the road. Only a matter of time and I expect more tickets.
Old 2019-03-05, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Dangerous practice in snowplow season.
Old 2019-03-05, 11:41 AM
Regular User

Every new home purchase agreement is meant to outline things under the "City Bylaws" section, including what you actually own. It doesn't matter if there is a sidewalk or not, the city owns the first 1m(?) 3m(?) from the road of the property. If they decide they want to ticket you, they legally can since you are on their property.
Old 2019-03-05, 12:08 PM
Regular User

The city does not issue tickets for parking on the city owned portion of a driveway.
Old 2019-03-05, 12:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
The city does not issue tickets for parking on the city owned portion of a driveway.
You're correct, but they can, or fine you in other ways.
Old 2019-03-05, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You're correct, but they can, or fine you in other ways.
No they can't. They can only fine you if you break a by-law. Almost everyone is parking on the city owned part. The city owns way more than the first few feet, it's more like eight feet if I go by where the water shut off is.