Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-03-06, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Default Home- wear and tear items that need replacing over time ($1000 or more)

What are my homes common wear and tear items to replace?? (above 1,000$).

From what I can see:

-Appliances
Life expectancy: 5-10 years with todays crappy new appliances made to break

-AC, furnace=
Life expectancy:15-20y

-Roof=
Life expectancy: 20y

-Windows=
Life expectancy:20-25?

My hot water is unfortunately a rental (previous owner). I was going to call Enercare and find out the buyout but this home is already 8-9 years old so I might just keep paying the rental fees on it if I am here for another 3-4y only. ($30 a month= $1100 approx) with replacement warranty. I figure a new one will be around $1800 installed so I would be doing a gift to the new owners and not really saving much here.

Am I forgetting any items?

I want to make sure I jump ship before any of these big ticket items are due. I am especially concerned about appliances and AC as the next possible expense but I'll have to take my chances on them.

Last edited by eastendguy; 2019-03-06 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2019-03-06, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Outside there is also fences, decks, driveways, patios, pools and hottubs.

Interior there may be an hrv system, flooring replacement (carpet and any vinyl particularly).

Using a 25 year window, you bring in the very subjective conclusions that kitchens and bathrooms are very dated and should be replaced to attract top dollar.
Old 2019-03-06, 02:31 PM
Regular User

kitchen and bathrooms will need Renos by then for sure ($$$). I won't let it get to that.Over to the next owner!

See image under 'Attached Images'.

PS. Don't worry, I am known for being obsessed with homes and money Love this industry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Throwing-Money-Away.jpg (15.0 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by eastendguy; 2019-03-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2019-03-06, 03:59 PM
Regular User

If the roof is a typical builders 3 tab shingle then it's life would be much less than 20 years. If it is an architectural grade laminated shingle then the 20 year plus estimate would be right.
Old 2019-03-06, 06:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
If the roof is a typical builders 3 tab shingle then it's life would be much less than 20 years. If it is an architectural grade laminated shingle then the 20 year plus estimate would be right.
Not exactly what I was hoping to hear! LOL

How do I find out?
Old 2019-03-06, 06:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
Not exactly what I was hoping to hear! LOL

How do I find out?
This should help.

https://www.roofpedia.com/architectu...-tab-shingles/

NOTE - On this web page there is a typo / mistake. Point number 2 on the 3 tab shingle section should say "3-tab shingles" not "Architectural shingles"

Architectural shingles are thicker, heavier, and not at all floppy. They are much less likely to blow off roofs and they last longer.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2019-03-06 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2019-03-07, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
kitchen and bathrooms will need Renos by then for sure ($$$). I won't let it get to that.Over to the next owner!

See image under 'Attached Images'.

PS. Don't worry, I am known for being obsessed with homes and money Love this industry.
I admire your determination but you're really not understanding how this all works. You can't just "pass the expenses to the next owner". If you sell at a time when a bunch of repairs are pending/required that will mean you'll get a lower price. Perhaps even lower than the sum of the expenses to fix things up because it also sends the message to buyers that the home was generally not well maintained so that can further decrease the home's appeal and price point....

Now if you just hate doing fix ups and are not a DIY type of guy that is different. If you would rather move every 10 years instead of stick it out and do the replacements/renos/maintenance as required that's a personal choice but don't approach it as way to save money.
Old 2019-03-07, 11:16 AM
Regular User

I am often shocked at the poor condition of homes on the market. What really puzzles me is that it does not seem to hurt a sale in any way. Or the price that much.

If your listing price reflects the need for upgrades a good line is " Leaving it for you so you can pick what you prefer".

Eastendguy to be clear, all things listed as 'included' in the sale must be working on the possession date.
Old 2019-03-07, 11:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I admire your determination but you're really not understanding how this all works. You can't just "pass the expenses to the next owner". If you sell at a time when a bunch of repairs are pending/required that will mean you'll get a lower price. Perhaps even lower than the sum of the expenses to fix things up because it also sends the message to buyers that the home was generally not well maintained so that can further decrease the home's appeal and price point....

Now if you just hate doing fix ups and are not a DIY type of guy that is different. If you would rather move every 10 years instead of stick it out and do the replacements/renos/maintenance as required that's a personal choice but don't approach it as way to save money.
Not quite It's all a question of timing. The couple that sold me the home, purchased it new from the builder in 2011 for about 275k.

They lived in it for 8 years and sold it to me in late 2018 for 332k. They didn't pay any wear and tear in my books (no renos done and no maintenance items yet)!!!! Now, based on my list provided in this post. I am good for another 3-4 years in theory. Even if I sold it in 3-4 years the home is 12 years old. The roof or windows should not need replacing. Again Timing is everything!!!

I will have the roof looked at this summer to see what kind of shingles I have. Hopefully it's that stuff good for 20 years+. Then it would not even be a concern for the couple buying in 3-4 years from me.

Best thing to do, build it new and sell when its 10y old. It's not due for anything, but it could be in a few years situation. See what I mean about the timing here!

We must also consider the market. there is an inventory crisis. People will buy anything with 4 walls right now if its in their desired area. I sold my home last year. I had not paved the laneway, couple made a fuss. I told my realtor to tell them, do you want it or not? There are 3 other offers... They signed the doted line. That day I saved approximately 5k! It was a good day indeed!

I don't accept this idea of paying for wear and tear when there are certainly ways around it like the scenario I just mentioned. It's not a car, it didn't depreciate in value.Build new, live in it, sell a few years before major maintenance could be due. Over to the next owner to write the cheques in a few years when these items are due! He will have paid for my wear and tear! This system also takes advantage of people that don't want to go thru the building a new home process which can be a nightmare.

Here is my home model. Starting at 299k

http://sanscartierconstruction.com/p...-d-1551-sq-ft/

Now... yes I AM AWARE that I will unfortunately face closings costs which are enormous!!! LOL BACK TO SQUARE ONE. If you lived there 10-12 years then it was worth it. But the 4 years like I am doing is perhaps not a financially sound idea.

I know what to do for my next home for peace of mind! as mentioned by HMBTUX you don't save because of closing costs but I would sleep better knowing everything is warrantied and not likely to break.

Last edited by eastendguy; 2019-03-07 at 12:53 PM.
Old 2019-03-07, 01:23 PM
Regular User

I would sleep better knowing everything is warrantied and not likely to break.[/QUOTE]

Not the hijack the post, but you would be surprise when it comes to warranty, assuming your talking about Tarion.

Most of the items are not warrantable as I found out the hard way through conciliation.