Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-05-29, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Default The Digital Future Home

Electronic House did a little round table article on the digital home in 5 years. This is US based, which unfortunately is a few years ahead of us when it comes to implementing new standards for electronic wiring in new houses, but it does apply to us too.

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...k_of_2012/C155

It's somewhat technical, but I feel it's a reasonable view on what will become standard in new home construction.

I just wish more builders would be smart enough to incorporate many of these things now.. such as home run network and TV cable for every room in the house.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-05-29, 04:29 PM
Regular User

interesting... over-expensive at this time... and in some cases not available in canada...
I want it
Old 2007-05-29, 04:50 PM
Administrator

The wiring can at least be done now. Running of 2x cat5e and RG6 cable to each room should be a minimum and it bugs me that builders still do a silly loop of cat3 to daisy chain telephone jacks around the house.

Old 2007-05-29, 04:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
The wiring can at least be done now. Running of 2x cat5e and RG6 cable to each room should be a minimum and it bugs me that builders still do a silly loop of cat3 to daisy chain telephone jacks around the house.
In Toronto.

In Ottawa, we get the good stuff. Home run cat 5...

cat 3 loop is ridiculous!
Old 2007-05-29, 05:24 PM
Regular User

Yep.

I am not 3 days into my new house and I am already regretting not ordering more runs of CAT5/RG6. Granted they were expensive at $100 and $150 per drop, respectively. But when I mapped out where I thought my TV was going to go, I had not actually seen the space, the way it interacts with lighting, etc. The wall where the TV should go is painfully obvious when you see it in person, and it's not the wall where I had them run the cables.

I'd gladly pay $100 now to have a new jack put in, but obviously that's not so easy now. The best my builder suggests is to run it through the cold air return next to where I want it to go, but that's kludgy at best.

One nice surprise was that my builder installed a structured media centre with everything neatly terminated. This might be standard now, but at my parents' last house when I was living with them, the builder simply left a bundle of cables dangling in the basement. I had to buy my own Leviton box and terminated everything myself.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2007-05-29 at 05:34 PM.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
the builder simply left a bundle of cables dangling in the basement. I had to buy my own Leviton box and terminated everything myself.
This is standard around here. Even the million dollar houses that I am working on, a wiring panel is an upgrade.. although a very easy one.

Old 2007-06-17, 08:05 AM
roomvista

hi guys

I am starting new career in this home interior design. well its been 4 months now and one guy from Ireland recommeded me this site saying I wil get so much help and suggestions.. so here I am guys.. looking forward to talk to you all and meet hopefully.. and very interesting topic on Digital Future home....

Thanks again

Alley

Last edited by roomvista; 2007-06-21 at 07:15 AM.