Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-08-21, 08:33 AM
Regular User

Default Barrhaven: Richcraft vs. Tartan

My wife and I were waiting patiently for Tartan to release Fraser Fields, however, the most recent piece of information we received was that prices would probably be in the range of 15 to 20 thousand more for the same model than what you would pay in Jackson Trails. As such, they've almost priced themselves out of our range for the models we are interested in. We're now seriously considering the tall towns from Richcraft in Woodroffe Estates. I was just hoping I could get some feedback from people who have bought the tall towns from Richcraft, or anything from Richcraft in general, as to how the experience with Richcraft was and if they're happy with the service, workmanship, final product etc. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 2007-08-21, 09:06 AM
Regular User

spam, welcome to the forum

(Comparable) houses in Barrhaven are more expensive than Jackson Trails for a few reasons (location, Carp dumps etc), we found that out right before we started our house-hunting quest and I suspect it has been like that for as long as we could remember.

We got a tall town in Woodroffe Estates, we love the location and the features of the house. We just moved in so we have not had the chance to invite people over for house-warming but for the few friends who came by to help us move, they love the 9-foot ceiling and the layout of our model (Bancroft).

The experience with Richcraft has been above average, so far. I am not a construction expert by any stretch but it's apparent that Richcraft was really rushing to finish the houses on schedule and subsequently, the workmanship quality in some areas leaves a lot to be desired for. I created an earlier thread detailing my PDI experience and I will follow up with more details shortly so you can check it out. To Richcraft's credit, we have already set up an appointment in 2 weeks' time for the crew to come in and fix the issues so we will see at that time.

I believe the prices for Woodroffe Estates have gone up a bit since the spring and there is not many units left but considering all other builders, I do think this is something worth looking into for you.

As you stated, Tartan will be months away from opening in Fraser Fields. Mattamy has made its presence known in Barrhaven with its Barrhaven Mews and Half Moon Bay communities but the prices + upgrades and features of those houses will be something you need to be aware of. Monarch and Stonebridge represent quality and prestige but not everyone could afford it. Tamarack is supposed to come out with another community near Half Moon Bay but who knows when. Minto is expanding in Chapman Mills but judging from other posters' comments, the prices seem to have skyrocketed. And last but not least, Phoenix and Claridge are building in Strandherd Meadows but they would be my worst-case scenarios.

Cheers!
Old 2007-08-21, 09:39 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the info. I read your PDI thread. I wonder if that's a Richcraft thing with all of the building they're doing in the area, or if that is somewhat typical for any builder.

We feel like we've done our research pretty well, as we are aware of all of the potential builders in the Barrhaven area, as well as their perceived pros and cons. We essentially narrowed it down to these two builders based on layouts and reputations of the builders.

I knew Tartan in Barrhaven would be more expensive than Jackson Trails, however, 4-5 months ago, we were told maybe 5-10 thousand more, not 15-20. And with the recent increase in interest rates, that just compounds the problem.

Currently, Woodroffe Estates has two potential lots left for the model we like (Caledonia). So I think we're going to anticipate (rightly or wrongly so) that the Tartan prices (whenever they finally get around to releasing them) are going to be too high for our tastes, and pursue Richcraft.
Old 2007-08-21, 09:49 AM
Regular User

From what I have seen, you can't really go wrong with Richcraft. Some of their designs are good but find that they loook like every other house in barrhaven so when it comes to resale there will be a lot of head to head competition. The one feature that I am more impressed with Richraft at Woodroffe Estates is the 9' ceilings...There standards are high but it reflects in the price of the house. Some of the lots in Woodroffe Estates are really crappy cause some are backing onto the huge terrace homes and therefore no privacy even with a fence.

Tartan shouldn't really be compared to the Richcraft towns as Tartan will be building on semis in Fraser Fields. The upside to Tartan is that they are building with high R ratings for insulation and the homes are energy star that means you can get a rebate on your mortgage. I think if you get the bigger semis, hardwood floors on the main floor, finished basement and I think there's a bit of ceramic and/or they give you 3 appliances...that is from what I heard from the Sales rep that will be in Barrhaven. Not 100% until they release the prices! I think its smart waiting a bit longer until the huge rush of Mattamy buyers are done...

Holitzner is building with Tartan in Fraser Fields...but they are only building singles from what I know of...I think the quality is really there with Holitzner but can't afford a single just yet.

Monarch does look like they build quality homes but there aren't a lot standards that come with the home. They are a bit higher as a base price but not that much. They do offer 10K bonus in design upgrades so that does help! The only thing that stops me from buying in Stonebridge is the traffic flow. Its horrible getting in and out of Stonebridge...

The Mattamy houses have gone up in prices in HMB...
Old 2007-08-21, 10:10 AM
Regular User

I can say for a fact that getting into/outof Stonebridge via Jockvale is totally anoying. Monarch's upgrades are quite pricey (who's aren't) but one good thing is that their standards are quite nice - i.e. good quality carpet, some ceramic, nice mantles, railings etc. You also can't beat the resale value of the homes in Stonebridge...
Old 2007-08-21, 10:23 AM
Regular User

I pretty much agree with you TMA.

We were specifically looking at the widelot towns with mattamy, and none of them jumped out at us anyway.

Holitzner singles are too expensive right now, and we ruled out monarch because of the location.

I could be wrong about the Richcraft tall towns, and maybe canabiz can shed some light, but I thought that they were energy star too. My wife compared the specs of the tall towns to the tartan semis, and i think they were identical. So we would qualify for the rebate anyway.

We're just worried that if we go with richcraft, and then Tartan releases their prices and they are lower than we're predicting (probably pretty unlikely), that we'll regret our decision. Although, we'll still end up with a place we like, so it's really a win/win.
Old 2007-08-21, 10:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamgambler View Post
I could be wrong about the Richcraft tall towns, and maybe canabiz can shed some light, but I thought that they were energy star too.
"Energy Star" = marketing. Compare the specs (like your wife did I think) because they are not all equal. Some include a HRV, some a humidifier, windows might be different, spray foam vs regular insulation, ...
Old 2007-08-21, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Our Minto Designer told us that newer homes meet the energy star requirements already (it's standard) minus the HRV.
Old 2007-08-21, 11:06 AM
Regular User

That is what we were told too regarding our Mattamy single so we opted not to pay the $5600 for the Energy Star...
Old 2007-08-21, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Right girls. Because the building code was updated for 2006, for the most part last year's energy star = this year's standard. Mart's advice is good on this - "energy star" is really just a marketing brand - we're checking out our specs and will then decide what/if we want to upgrade anything - I know Minto (like most builders) will let you pick and choose.