Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2007-09-02, 10:20 AM
Regular User

Default Selling Appliances with House

For those of you that sold a previous house before moving in to your new ones, did you sell your appliance with the house or take them with you to the new one? We haven't engaged a real estate agent yet to ask their opinion but I thought I would try and tap into the pool of experiences on this site to find out what other people did. Thanks for any help.
Towngate Elevation C Lot#80
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 2007-09-02, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie & Keith View Post
For those of you that sold a previous house before moving in to your new ones, did you sell your appliance with the house or take them with you to the new one? We haven't engaged a real estate agent yet to ask their opinion but I thought I would try and tap into the pool of experiences on this site to find out what other people did. Thanks for any help.
We sold them with the house.
We were getting new ones for the new house anyway.
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John
Old 2007-09-02, 12:20 PM
Administrator

If you do not intend to sell your appliances with the house do one of the following:

a) REMOVE the appliances from the house completely.
b) REMOVE the appliances and replace with cheaper used alternatives.

I had "Appliances not included" written expressly in the listing, yet every offer that came in asked for the appliances. It was $8500 worth of appliances I got for under $6000 and there was no way I was going to give them up. I wished I had just removed mine from the house.

Some people just don't understand.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-09-03, 04:29 PM
Regular User

I guess it all depends on how old the appliances are.
If they are new, then take them with you.

Ours were probably about 15-20 years old and the dishwasher has a recall notice on it.

We definitely needed new appliances.

If you find someone interested in the house, tell them you will through in the appliances.
Old 2007-09-03, 08:48 PM
Regular User

As a buyer I would give the house with appliances included more thoughts than one without appliances, all things considered and assume they are comparable

It's not so much about *good deals* or *values*, it's about simplifying your life, that's my perspective. Whether you have lots of time and like to entertain or a busy professional on the go is somewhat besides the point, i would rather use the time that I need to spend to shop for appliances then delivery and installation to something else more productive.

Sure appliances have gone a long way with all the pizzazz and snazzy features but as long as they serve the basic functions, that's all i need and I suspect that's the case with the majority as well.

my $0.02
Old 2007-09-04, 12:40 AM
Regular User

i sold mine with my house - they're only 4 yrs old and nice kitchenaid architect stainless, but they weren't what i wanted in my new house.

i looked at other resale houses where the owner had taken out their appliances (house was vacant), and it looked awful. i think any agent will tell you to stage your house, and appropriate appliances are a big part of that.

i also looked at one where the owner had put his top of the line whirlpool duet laundry units in the garage under a tarp, and put new low-end whirlpool units in his house. that was pretty tacky. frankly, i'd rather see the high end units there and have them listed as excluded than find out i'm stuck with some low end crap that the owner picked up just to dress up his house.

there's nothing wrong with excluding your appliances when you list your house. sure, almost all of your offers will start out asking for the appliances. they'll also start out asking for a big price cut. it's all negotiation. just be ready for it and know what you want.
Old 2007-09-06, 08:48 AM
Regular User

We sold ours with our house. Just don't like the idea of moving them. They were only 2 years old.
Old 2007-10-17, 09:54 AM
Regular User

We listed the house without appliances but were willing to negotiate with them. In the end, the house was bought without appliances.
Towngate Elevation C Lot#80
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 2007-10-17, 11:36 AM
Regular User

As a seller, I would list with appliances, just because it's more confortable for me. As a buyer, I would not like to use appliances that somebody else used before me. Washer/dryer where I put my clothes. yuck, somebody else put who knows what in there... same with fridge and stove where I eat... I don't know... I don't feel comfortable eating from somebody else's plate, so I don't feel comfortable using somebody else's appliances... A wash/cleanup can only clean so much...
Old 2008-02-19, 10:17 PM
Regular User

I would never have bought an older house without appliances. And I dont agree with the concept of someone else's appliances or someone else's used house. Because they are not really designed to be carrier of someone else's germs.

If you have experience living in rental apartment or using coin laundry, you are already familiar with using things already used by millions of people.