Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-10-10, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Default price negotiation with builders

So I saw a few realtors over at Minto's Chapman mills sales office over the weekend. I know that several builder's sales offices say that realtors do not get the buyers better price.

Anyone here know of any cases where realtors have been able to get a price better than the builder's quoted price? Or has anyone got any add on or upgrades thrown in by bargaining themselves or through their realtor?
Old 2007-10-10, 02:15 PM
Regular User

You'd actually be less likely to get a bargain since the builder has to pay the realtor a comission..
Old 2007-10-10, 02:24 PM
Regular User

There's no reason for a builder to offer any incentives to one person that would not be offered to the next person.

Any incentives are based on the inventory listing or lot or maybe even community.

The builders will feel that their prices are very competitive and therefore do not require negotiating. If you feel that the price is too high, then go to another lot or builder as the builder will not be worried as their is usually going to be someone who will buy each house at the price quoted.

If you want a 'deal' on a newly built house, you're best to sacrifice closing date and design choices to recieve occupany bonus' or Design Centre bonus' etc..
Old 2007-10-10, 02:56 PM
Regular User

In my experience the builders in today's market have no incentive to offer you a deal, you take their price or leave it. Exceptions may exist, for example if a builder is trying to sell the last of the inventory houses so they can close up shop in a particular neighborhood. I visited one development where this was the case, and the saleslady kept dropping hints: "the builder is very motivated to sell", "this is the incentive but I'm sure they could throw in a bit more" and when I finally declined because ultimately the price was too high, she said "you aren't even going to make an offer?"
Old 2007-10-10, 03:04 PM
Regular User

Funny story:

My fiance and I went to purchase our home and were waiting for our realtor to show up. We decided to go ahead into the sales center to wait and the sales guy came up to us as friendly as ever, but as soon as the realtor showed up he went cold. In fact, when we were chatting with him while we waited and we told him we were in fact waiting for a realtor, he told us we couldn't 'do that' but quickly went quiet when she walked in. Not sure what he meant when he said 'we couldn't do that'...It was priceless but I also almost requested another sales guy because he was so ridiculous.

Our realtor didn't get us a deal but she was very good at pointing out what all the upgrades were in the model home and very good and advising us/going through the documents when we signed.
Old 2007-10-10, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_Nikki View Post
Funny story:
Speaking of funny (and a bit embarrassing) stories about realtors...

A few days after they opened up the urban townhouse model home (and before I moved in) I went to check it out with my family. As we were leaving a group of people were coming in. One guy looked familiar -- he waits tables at a Chinese restaurant that I eat a lot at. So I asked him if he was looking at buying a house. Turns out, he wasn't -- he's got two jobs, one at the restaurant, one as a realtor, and he was with clients doing a showing. Oops...
Old 2007-10-10, 04:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha_Nikki View Post
My fiance and I went to purchase our home and were waiting for our realtor to show up. We decided to go ahead into the sales center to wait and the sales guy came up to us as friendly as ever, but as soon as the realtor showed up he went cold. In fact, when we were chatting with him while we waited and we told him we were in fact waiting for a realtor, he told us we couldn't 'do that' but quickly went quiet when she walked in. Not sure what he meant when he said 'we couldn't do that'...It was priceless but I also almost requested another sales guy because he was so ridiculous.

Our realtor didn't get us a deal but she was very good at pointing out what all the upgrades were in the model home and very good and advising us/going through the documents when we signed.
My understanding is the builder will pay the real-estate agent (maybe 2% of purchase price). And that comes out of the builder's sales agent cut for selling a home. Kinda like in the resale home market. The selling agent gets 2.5 % and the buying agent gets 2.5% - and bonus if the selling agent is the same as the buyer agent
Old 2007-10-11, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Try to tell the sales rep that you know people who bought from the same builder and see what he/she has to say

I did that and got $2K knocked off my price with Richcraft, although it could depend on the sales rep and how good/bad the market is. I know Tartan and Tamarack have referral program. Minto has the rental rewards program

Just a side note, I saw Richcraft put up a for sale sign for one of its town close to my place. I believe all the other units in that row have been sold so in this case, I think you may be able to negotiate something.