Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-02-17, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Default Sandfield basement cost

I expect these to be more costly from the builder than if you do it yourself - but I'm looking for any feedback from people who have priced compared the builder cost vrs someone else doing it. Builder option is $12,000.00 -

Our Sandfield will also likley have 12 foot ceilings in the basement as its on a grade (Preimium lot called a lookout) - this means more drywall and work for the price.

I realize you are not to do the basement on your own for 2 years. (Maybe this is worth the risk in that the sandfield basement - as it is - is above ground- therefore the leaking foundation may be less likely as a problem (This strikes me as the biggest concern in the foundation settling.)

We are also considering the finished bathroom and closet in the Sandfield for $7300.00. (Any Opinions on this as value for money?)

Our whole debate is around whether or not to get the 4 bedroom Sandfield or the 3 bedroom and finish the basement for the 4th bedroom.

Personally I like the design of the 3 bedroom better - nicer loft area.

I don't mind paying a few thousand extra for Mattamy doing the basement and get their warranty - but if its way overpriced its harder to swallow.

Is $12,000.00 way overpriced for a 12 ft ceiling area.

Thanks for your opinions

We just bought lot 17 in Coriolis Court
Old 2008-02-17, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Hi,

I would wait the 2 yrs and get it done by a contractor or do it yourself if you can. Everything Mattamy does is overpriced !

You are so lucky that you are getting a walk out basement. I've always wanted one. I asked (we bought a Sandfield as well) and they told me they could not do it even though I will have 10 steps from my back porch and with the 10" ceiling I'm pretty sure it's do-able. At least when I spoke with my builder he didn''t think that would be a problem'. I know Mattamy does not like to make any architectural (sp?) changes to their plan.

If you don't mind me asking did you have to pay more for the walk-out or did that come with the premium lot? What kind of lot did you end up buying ? Corner or pie shape?

Jessica & Serge
Sandfield Model C
Tempest St.
Lot 151
original closing date: April 30th
revised: May 30th
newly revised: June 10th

Old 2008-02-17, 01:56 PM
Regular User

Congratulations and welcome to the neighbourhood! We are just across the creek on Riverfront Court.
I didn't realise that a finished basement was an option but would be nice to have it done asap.
Nice to see they released the side of Coriolis you are on. I dn't think it was available the last time I had checked at the sales office. Nice area there.
What kind of premium are on those lots? (Ours was $50k)

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-02-17, 03:00 PM
Regular User

Default Our lot

Our Lot is a larger pie shape - lot #17 -which cost an additional $55,000.00

Our basement is not a walkout -its called a lookout because its on a grade. I think the ceilings are anticipated to be up to 12 ft high in the basement.

Cheers
Old 2008-02-17, 11:02 PM
Regular User

I would think you'd want to get the "rec room ready" option to make sure you get the larger windows. The standard are quite small and with a ceiling that high you won't be able to even touch them!
Hard to believe basements are that high!

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!