Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-05-21, 10:31 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrGrn View Post
It's the same with hardwood. We priced the same product, same supplier/installer and it was nearly half the price including labour and removing the carpet so we're willing to deal with the hassle of doing it after. Unfortunately we were told having granite installed after closing would void the lifetime warranty on the cabinetry so we got suckered there.
Well, if you wait a short while before you install the granite you'll have an opportunity to discover any defects in the cabinetry which you can get the builder to fix under warranty. Once you're satisfied that the cabinets are fine, you could go ahead and install the granite... if any problems occur with the cabinets, sure you'd have to fix them yourself, but with the cost savings Katherine mentioned (thousands of dollars) it's probably worth the small risk that you might spend a few hundred dollars on cabinet repairs.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:55 AM
Regular User

We were provided with a warranty certificate from the kitchen supplier for our last house which we left for the new owners when we sold so there may be some truth there, not sure. As soon as my husband heard "warranty void" over-priced granite it was.

The mark-up on upgrades is nuts but that's what happens when you have the pay the supplier, installer and make a profit. And they get away with it when people like me know for a fact they will never rip apart the ceiling to install all those pot lights later!
Old 2008-05-21, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Thanks for all your comments regarding carpet Katherine. I am in the process of finalizing our colours with Richcraft right now and was having a hard time trying to decide what carpet upgrades to do. Just to upgrade the underpad on the upper floor of a 2400 sq ft house was going to cost $2500!

Your well thought out argument has convinced me to just stick with the standard 40oz. carpet and I'll replace it in a few years once it starts to show some wear. Now I can put the money towards getting better quality hardwood.
Old 2008-05-31, 08:12 PM
Regular User

We didn't even go to our last appointment. Since we just about had everything figured out at our second appointment, we skipped the third one all together.

Whatever papers still needed to be signed (we were waiting on a few quotes) we did via fax.

Urbandale - Isla Vista Model - Elevation B
Riverside South
Closing: November 6, 2008
Old 2008-06-01, 08:34 PM
Regular User

Hmm..we were told that we NEEDED to sign the design papers in person...and could not do by fax. For us, it's not just as simple as taking an hour or two off of work...we need to take several days and make a 10 hour drive. Ugh.
Old 2008-06-01, 10:18 PM
Regular User

We were able to do that easy enough. We changed some things last minute and added anything they missed,ex. gout colour, type of stain etc... she just printed up some additional sheets that we signed. I seem to remember faxing some paper to her also? Maybe that was the Orbital stuff that they emailed us? Anyways we are all finished, although I can.t remember if she put the A/C and humidifier on. I better check!
Old 2008-06-02, 10:16 AM
Regular User

Talking Hi~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
We were able to do that easy enough. We changed some things last minute and added anything they missed,ex. gout colour, type of stain etc... she just printed up some additional sheets that we signed. I seem to remember faxing some paper to her also? Maybe that was the Orbital stuff that they emailed us? Anyways we are all finished, although I can.t remember if she put the A/C and humidifier on. I better check!
Hi, sweeper, nice to meet you~! I bought Pasadena at RS too! Are you also in Jersey Tea Circle?
Proud Urbandalers
Old 2008-06-02, 01:18 PM
Regular User

My hubby and I were in the Ottawa area this past week and had our intro to the design center session.

Prior to signing off on our contract, we spent about a month re-doing our bathroom to fit a 3x4 frameless glass shower into it. We finally found a layout that worked for us and got quoted a price to get this done. Our sales rep understood the reason for us doing this major change to our master ensuite: to get FRAMELESS GLASS SHOWER DOORS.

So anyways, we get to the design center and they show us what we are getting in our shower. It's certainly not what I would consider glass, let alone frameless. It has this magnetic strip between the two doors that seems flimsy, and there is a frame on both sides as well as the bottom. Apparently to Urbandale, a frameless glass shower is anything that does not have a metal frame on the top only. In addition to this, the glass is not what I would call glass...it's more like a plexi-glass.

It's not that I find this thing ugly - it's nice/ok. Just not what I was expecting, or what I want. With this door, in combination with the fact that Urbandale won't tile our shower floor (only acrylic bases), I am considering 'downgrading' to an insert and ripping it out and doing properly after the fact.

So, I'm wondering. For those of you who have been through your first 'pricing' design center appointment - are there any other real frameless glass door options with Urbandale -- perhaps with another name brand other than Maax??
Old 2008-06-02, 01:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena & AJ View Post
Hi, sweeper, nice to meet you~! I bought Pasadena at RS too! Are you also in Jersey Tea Circle?
Hi back!
Yes we are also on Jersey Tea. When are you moving in?
Old 2008-06-02, 01:38 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and B View Post
My hubby and I were in the Ottawa area this past week and had our intro to the design center session.

Prior to signing off on our contract, we spent about a month re-doing our bathroom to fit a 3x4 frameless glass shower into it. We finally found a layout that worked for us and got quoted a price to get this done. Our sales rep understood the reason for us doing this major change to our master ensuite: to get FRAMELESS GLASS SHOWER DOORS.

So anyways, we get to the design center and they show us what we are getting in our shower. It's certainly not what I would consider glass, let alone frameless. It has this magnetic strip between the two doors that seems flimsy, and there is a frame on both sides as well as the bottom. Apparently to Urbandale, a frameless glass shower is anything that does not have a metal frame on the top only. In addition to this, the glass is not what I would call glass...it's more like a plexi-glass.

It's not that I find this thing ugly - it's nice/ok. Just not what I was expecting, or what I want. With this door, in combination with the fact that Urbandale won't tile our shower floor (only acrylic bases), I am considering 'downgrading' to an insert and ripping it out and doing properly after the fact.

So, I'm wondering. For those of you who have been through your first 'pricing' design center appointment - are there any other real frameless glass door options with Urbandale -- perhaps with another name brand other than Maax??
I know they use Mirolin too. http://www.mirolin.com/index.php They gave us the websites to look for upgrades if we wanted. There was a post with all the websites in here somewhere.