Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-05-21, 10:08 AM
Regular User

Default Claridge Homes in Bridlewood Trails. Are they building on Swamp Land.

We were VERY interested in purchasing a clardige home in the new Bridlewood Trails, until a couple people have mentioned to me that this is/was swamp land they ae building on. Can anyone else confirm this? Is there a way I can contact the city and get them to reveal the groud/soil information to me?
Old 2008-05-21, 10:29 AM
Regular User

I haven't heard anything about Bridlewood Trails but Claridge has been known to build on land that is swampy.

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/features/home/sinking.html

There was a story on the news recently that a builder received approval from the city (I think it was Claridge) to build on land in Greenboro that people in the area are calling "waterfront" and are trying to warn future buyers the land is problematic. A house is a huge investment so it's so important to do your research.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:32 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the link. I have heard this in the news recently, so it seems like this is Claridge's MO - That they like to build on Swamp Land. Man, I was so close to signing the dotted line. I am still researching this area and trying to contact the City - thats alot of hoops to jump though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrGrn View Post
I haven't heard anything about Bridlewood Trails but Claridge has been known to build on land that is swampy.

http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/features/home/sinking.html

There was a story on the news recently that a builder received approval from the city (I think it was Claridge) to build on land in Greenboro that people in the area are calling "waterfront" and are trying to warn future buyers the land is problematic. A house is a huge investment so it's so important to do your research.
Old 2008-05-21, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
Isn't stittsville built almost entirely on "swamp land"?

Wait, isn't half of Kanata built on "swamp land"?... or bedrock.. or radon gas pockets...
I dont know. Im not a geologist, like you. Thats why I ask.
Old 2008-05-21, 02:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
I dont know. Im not a geologist, like you. Thats why I ask.
lol
Old 2008-05-21, 10:11 PM
Regular User

Go to the building site and check it out.

How long has claridge homes been building there? If it has been more than a year or so, go knock on people doors and get their feedback about the builder and if they have had any foundation problems.

I was not aware that there was any swamp land out in that area.
Old 2008-05-21, 10:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Go to the building site and check it out.

How long has claridge homes been building there? If it has been more than a year or so, go knock on people doors and get their feedback about the builder and if they have had any foundation problems.

I was not aware that there was any swamp land out in that area.
Actually people are just moving into that claridge development now... they started construction late last year... and no, I've lived in the area my whole life, and there's no swamp. They did however build a storm pond.
2 weeks to closing I get a...
2nd Delay *NEW* closing: January 2009 (this better be it!)
Fairwinds, Kanata

Old 2008-05-21, 10:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Stroumboulopoulos View Post
Actually people are just moving into that claridge development now... they started construction late last year... and no, I've lived in the area my whole life, and there's no swamp. They did however build a storm pond.
Thanks for confirming the no swamp comment...

It is annoying when people spread false statement about a site / builder (note, I'm not referring to people who posted on this thread or forum - I mean in general). It is a hard enough decision to make without getting incorrect information. A few days ago, heard someone tell me (not on this forum) that builder X has to put in 12' + basements because they built on flood plains and wanted to avoid water getting into the basement... it took a while to stop laughing
Old 2008-05-21, 11:29 PM
Regular User

Rick - from what I know and speaking from someone living relatively close to the Claridge development - its not swamp.

Good luck with your decision - buying a home is tough stuff...

And if by chance you do decide to go with Claridge - welcome! We just bought a townhome in that development - we close July 24th.
Old 2008-05-22, 01:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Stroumboulopoulos View Post
Whatever happened to building your "dream home" in Greely???

I heard -- all the way on the other side of the city -- in ORLEANS, that whole place is on bedrock, no swamps, it would be PERFECT for you -... GREAT place to buy a home!!..... you don't want to build in the west end.... with all the swamps everywhere, the dump, and the people... sheesh....

And just remember that old saying-- "people in glass houses, really shouldn't throw stones"....
Your funny, boutanna!

I have talked to some home owners, one had a basement flooded due to a back up, the others are from T.O and know nothing about the area, but are happy with the house. Anyways, I will continue my research.

Last edited by Ricker; 2008-05-22 at 01:06 AM.