Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-07-02, 06:35 PM
Regular User

Default Braebury - fee for quote?

I'm thinking of engaging Braebury to build my house in Kingston. They asked me to make a firm offer on the house I want, after which we can discuss pricing, or they want $100 to do a quote without an offer.

Is this normal?
Old 2008-07-02, 09:25 PM
Regular User

It occurs to me that I may not have been clear enough in my wording - Braebury's process here is that people go to the model home, review floorplans, and then are expected to estimate the cost of their proposed upgrades/changes, and then make a binding offer, before Braebury will produce a quote.

My question is whether any builders are doing this in Ottawa?
Old 2008-07-02, 09:49 PM
Regular User

Is this for a custom built home or for a new home in a Braebury development? The main builders in Ottawa have price lists for their models. Although you can't always get upgrade prices before purchasing the base price and lot premiums are available to potential purchasers. I'm not sure why they're asking you for $100???
Old 2008-07-02, 10:55 PM
Regular User

New home in a Braebury development. It's not a custom home; it's a standard floor plan. But we want stuff like upgraded windows that's not on the standard upgrade list. Their position was "make a firm offer or pay us $100 to do a quote".

The explanation I got was that they have a lot of people who are simply "tire kickers" and aren't serious about buying, and would be doing quotes all day if they didn't have this $100 fee. My view is that this is the cost of doing business, and prospective purchasers should not be expected to pay.
Old 2008-07-02, 11:04 PM
Regular User

don't their contracts have the standard 5 day cooling off period? Couldn't you theoretically make them an offer, sign the agreement to purchase, get your quotes and then just cancel the offer?

sounds like a weird way of doing things.. the only experiences I've heard of braebury have not been positive.
Old 2008-07-02, 11:14 PM
Regular User

I thought of that tactic, but a) the quotes take 2 weeks to produce, so the cooling off period would have expired and b) I'm not comfortable with signing any kind of purchase agreement without engaging a lawyer first.

Oh well, maybe we'll walk away from this builder; there are several more in the subdivision where we want to live.

I'd be very interested in anyone's comments about Braebury's reputation in Ottawa, by PM if necessary.
Old 2008-07-03, 12:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricMayhem View Post
Oh well, maybe we'll walk away from this builder; there are several more in the subdivision where we want to live.
That's what I'd do. If it doesn't feel right, walk away.
Old 2008-07-03, 09:19 AM
Regular User

Here is what we did, may or may not work in your situation.

We made a firm offer with all the large upgrades. For example, Stone front, larger windows, change in floor plans, change in door sizes, types, etc.

It took them (the builder) three weeks to get all the pricing, new drawings for the floor plan etc before they came back to us with a figure. Since the new figure was not the base price at which we started, We took that figure to start negotiations.
Old 2008-07-06, 03:13 PM
Regular User

I found another reason not to buy from Braebury. Professional Engineers Ontario just ruled against Braebury's engineers, saying that they were making house designs that did not conform to the Ontario Building Code and stamping them anyway.

http://www.peo.on.ca/complaints/Gaze...inescu2008.pdf
http://www.peo.on.ca/complaints/Gazette/Remisz2008.pdf
http://www.peo.on.ca/complaints/Gazette/Sharma2008.pdf