Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Tarion Questions

Tarion Questions Ask questions and share your experiences with Tarion. Note: It is to be understood that Tarion is not involved with this forum at all and that what you post should be factual. Do NOT post builders names or names of any of their representatives.

Old 2017-11-04, 10:50 PM

Default Why grading problem is not covered by Tarion?

I was told the grading problem is not covered by Tarion and I should contact municipal. I don't understand why it is a municipal problem since the grading was done by the builder.
Old 2017-11-04, 10:59 PM

The weirdest thing is that my builder fixed my neighbour's grading problem, which was exactly the same problem as mine, but told me that my grading problem is a municipality issue. How strange is that? It looks they don't have a guidance to follow.
Old 2017-11-05, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Grading is managed by the municipality.
Have you called them with whatever your concerns may be?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2017-11-06, 11:04 AM
Regular User

Your city councilor may be able to assist. In our case, the builder had a severe drop off right where the easement for my neighbour's access would be. I called the builder and was told that I was out of luck, that is what was approved. I contacted my councilor and explained my concerns. The city came out to inspect and agreed that it was steep and looked for a solution. In this case it was a buried pipe and a shallower trench. It delayed final grading and grass, but I'm much happier with the result.
Old 2018-02-11, 11:52 AM
Regular User

It depends on the grading problem.

If water is being directed towards OR not being directed away from the homes foundation then it is covered by Tarion because the building code requires settled backfill and general lot grading must slope away from the homes foundation.

If it is grading issues / problems like ponding that does not effect the home or the homes foundation like at the back corner of the property then that is best resolved by complaining the the municipality.

Code Rule 9.12.3.2. Grading of Backfill (1) Backfill shall be graded to prevent drainage towards the foundation AFTER settling.

Code Rule 9.14.6.1 Surface Drainage - Lot Grading (1) The building shall be located on the building site graded so that water will not accumulate at or near the building and will not adversely affect adjacent properties.
Old 2018-02-11, 03:37 PM
Regular User

Our builder said the same thing to us when we emailed about water ponding in the front of our property......