Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2011-08-31, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Default Cat Found on Tenth Line South of Hoover

Hello,

While driving North on Tenth Line towards Hoover, I found a cat in the middle of the road that I later found out was actually dead. I stopped and contacted animal services.

If you've lost a cat with white paws, stomach, and black and brown stripes, I regret to inform you that it may have been hit.

I was shocked at the number of cars that whizzed by without stopping. But I was even more shocked to have found out how long the cat must have been lying there. When a veterinarian stopped and moved it to the side of the road, based on its state, it was quite obvious that it was dead for quite some time.

I want to thank that veterinarian from Mount Joy Veterinary Clinic for moving the cat to the side of the road, as well as the kind lady who initially stopped because she feared it was her cat that suffered this ill fate, and then proceeded to help me steer traffic around the cat.

If you, or you know someone who may have lost a cat fitting my description, you can PM if you want more details.

I know some of you would equate this incident to hitting a raccoon or squirrel, but remember, this is a residential neighbourhood with families that count their pets as essential members of their family unit. Accidents happen, so I'm not blaming the driver, but a call to animal services or vet should have been made-by either the driver or passers-by.

I apologize for sounding at all preachy, I really don't mean to.
Old 2011-08-31, 12:52 PM
Regular User

Default thank you

God bless you for being a good human being with morals and doing the right thing. To bad there are not more people out there in this world like you who would do the same...
Old 2011-09-12, 02:10 PM
Regular User

Just curious, did the cat have a collar? I've seen a couple of cats in our neighbourhood (9th line / Hoover area) that wander around loose without a collar. I was starting to wonder if they were possibly feral cats, but they seemed relatively clean and well groomed so I don't know. Either they're wild, they escaped their home, or the owner is just pure irresponsible and lets his cats wander freely without identification. I do feel bad for the cat that was involved here, but I probably wouldn't stop either - with potentially wild cats around, I don't know where it's been, whether it's diseased/rabbid, and consequently whether it would defend itself in its injured state.

If the animal is still noticeably alive, I think more action is warranted. But at the risk of sounding inconsiderate, stopping to examine a presumably-dead animal puts yourself, not to mention your passengers and fellow motorists, at risk as well. Call Animal Services but don't risk your own life!
Old 2011-09-14, 08:19 PM
Regular User

Default Lost pets

Yes, what a sad story. I'm not a pet owner at this stage of life, but I'm in the process of getting some information from an associate of mine that runs a lost/homeless pet website. I'm pretty sure subscriptions are free and even if you are just a pet lover, want info on adopting a pet, posting a lost pet notice etc, you may be interested in checking out this site. If anyone is interested I don't mind passing on the contact information.
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region

Last edited by LenD; 2011-09-14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 2011-10-01, 12:19 PM
Regular User

I have a link to the Helping Lost Pets website for anyone interested: http://www.helpinglostpets.com/?rc=ifm
Affordable Web Design by In Front Media in York Region