Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2015-01-07, 12:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
thought so. both stucco and brick attenuate sound much better. there was a residential development in London that had to brick the back of homes that backed onto a rail line to reduce the noise transfer.
While it may be true that sound passes through siding a bit easier I have never heard of being able to hear your neighbor walking down their stairs in an unattached home. Siding or brick, it shouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure our neighbor could stand by his window and scream as loud as he can and I doubt I could hear him inside my home, even by a window. To me the noise has to be travelling through the ground somehow.
Old 2015-01-07, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
While it may be true that sound passes through siding a bit easier I have never heard of being able to hear your neighbor walking down their stairs in an unattached home. Siding or brick, it shouldn't matter. I'm pretty sure our neighbor could stand by his window and scream as loud as he can and I doubt I could hear him inside my home, even by a window. To me the noise has to be travelling through the ground somehow.
That's what i'm thinking. How could 4 feet of earth and air allow for the vibrations of a kid stomping on the floor or running up the stairs pass through to my house? I feel like at some point, perhaps below the ground, maybe something isn't right.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I doubt my builder would start ripping up the ground and walls to check and see if something may or may not be wrong.

Re-routing the venting to the roof and bricking the wall would be great but definitely not something i'm willing to do for a long time.
Old 2015-01-07, 03:56 PM
Regular User

One item you could check - carefully remove the vapour retarder and insulation in the rim joist area where the different vents are

Check how large the holes are that they cut out. A 3 inch caulked pipe on the outside could be a 10 x 10 pizza box in the rim joist. Lots of sound could come through that.

Also check if there is a layer of fire code drywall on the rim joist. Whie it helps with flame spread it helps with noise too
Old 2015-01-07, 04:19 PM
Regular User

I have the same issue, and our houses are more than 10 feet apart! I can hear my neighour's kids playing in the basement?! Everytime they throw a ball at the basement walls or lands a skateboard trick I can hear thumps.
Old 2015-01-07, 04:24 PM
Regular User

Your nickname is appropriate for the day
Old 2015-01-07, 04:26 PM
Regular User

I suppose this problem will be worse with frozen earth between the houses.
Old 2015-01-07, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Also check if there is a layer of fire code drywall on the rim joist. Whie it helps with flame spread it helps with noise too
Unless the rimjoist was spray foamed, there won't be drywall on there.
Rim joists are usually batt insulation with a folded up 6mil poly stapled in the corners of the cavity.

Maybe things are different in Ottawa?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2015-01-07, 06:24 PM
Regular User

Greg its not every house here but the one i have seen was because of proximity to neighbour.
Old 2015-01-07, 09:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I have the same issue, and our houses are more than 10 feet apart! I can hear my neighour's kids playing in the basement?! Everytime they throw a ball at the basement walls or lands a skateboard trick I can hear thumps.
Ditto, my neighbour can hear thumps from my basement as well.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-01-08, 02:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Ditto, my neighbour can hear thumps from my basement as well.

well that's discouraging. If you can hear at 10 feet, imagine what i'm hearing at 3.9 feet.