Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-18, 01:25 PM
Regular User

Default School Construction Timelines

Does anyone know how long a school board can take before they start building? I thought it was 10 years but could be mistaken. Also what happens to the land if they donít build, does it get rezoned? For buyers that paid a premium to back onto a future school, I'm assuming the builder would give a credit for the lot premium in that case.

Thanks,
Old 2019-06-18, 10:30 PM

Good question. I heard about the 10 year mark as well, but I think this is the time given to the school board to decide on whether they want/need to build a school in that community. Doesn't mean it will be built within that timeline. If no school is to be built, the land would be returned to the builder to be rezoned for other purposes, likely more houses.

I think Richcraft's premiums in Westwood are about 50K to back into the future school, but they cannot confirm a school will be built. I doubt they would reimburse home buyers if no school was built. If the house was sold to another person, whom would they reimbursed?
Old 2019-06-19, 05:11 PM
Regular User

I'm not 100% sure if 10 years is a hard and fast rule, but I just recently purchased in Manotick (Minto Mahogany) and was told that the land in Phase 2 had been assigned to the city for a future public school building.. but it was only promised to the city for 7 years. If not acted upon, it'll be returned to the builder which as the previous post indicated would likely be transitioned into other lots by the builder.
Old 2019-06-20, 04:33 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies. I reached out to the city and they mentioned that after 5 years the developer has the option to wait for a school board to purchase the parcel or leave the lands vacant until they are ready to develop. They also mentioned that the lands are usually dual zoned institutional/residential to avoid having to rezone if a school board doesnt purchase it.