Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-07-15, 07:16 AM
Regular User

Well thank you, we're all excited I'm sure My partner originally wanted something with an open-to-above living room (open to below from the upper floor) or a vaulted ceiling, but as I said, no such option is available for corner lot from Urbandale.

Overall, I think both Richcraft and Urbandale have really great town models in this neighborhood! Especially for Urbandale, it will be interesting to see if they will carry the contemporary Tudor townhouse design through for their singles as well.
Old 2017-07-15, 03:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
Especially for Urbandale, it will be interesting to see if they will carry the contemporary Tudor townhouse design through for their singles as well.
They're supposed to and be all new models that aren't available in any of their current other developments
Old 2017-07-18, 11:09 AM
Regular User

WOW They charge a premium for a "quiet street"?? That's crazy! Like someone said, I think they are only good if you are looking to get a house for as cheap as possible and then do your upgrades yourselves. Otherwise, it didn't seem worth it in the end. Richcraft/Urbandale base prices are higher to begin with but mostly everything we wanted is already included.
Even Minto prices are more reasonable than Mattamy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebacon View Post
The way Mattamy handled their releases of Abbottsville Crossing, which abuts Bradley Commons, has convinced us to never buy from them. For example, I can understand price increases every time they release new lots, but the fact that they also increase the prices for the optional layouts (i.e. en suite and kitchen optional layouts etc) is fking crazy! They were offering finished basement for approx. 4700$ when we first started looking. By the time they released a small portion of a new lot, the price for the finished rec basement went up to over $6000 for the same sq. footage!!! The en-suite went from approx. $5000 to almost $10k!!! Not to mention they decided for no good reason to tack on another $3000 lot premium on all their new releases, even ones that are interior lots that are not over-sized. When I asked why they mumbled something about the street being a quite street, which is complete bs.

TL;DR: Steer clear of Mattamy; super unorganized.
Old 2017-07-19, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemy1415 View Post
WOW They charge a premium for a "quiet street"?? That's crazy! Like someone said, I think they are only good if you are looking to get a house for as cheap as possible and then do your upgrades yourselves. Otherwise, it didn't seem worth it in the end. Richcraft/Urbandale base prices are higher to begin with but mostly everything we wanted is already included.
Even Minto prices are more reasonable than Mattamy!
The funny part is, that "quite street" isn't that far away from Terry Fox.

Minto Potters Key was selling so quick they had no inventory when we went looking, although the location isn't ideal (close to a mobile home park ). Apart from all the price premium bull, what really annoyed me about Mattamy was the fact that they kept trying to string us along by saying "ohhh we're gonna be releasing more lots VERY soon, just wait a wee bit longer"! If we had done that, we would've been royally screwed in trying to buy. To this day, they still have not released anything at all and its been 2+ months.
Old 2017-07-19, 12:28 PM
Regular User

Have we bashed Mattamy enough? If so, let's talk about Bradley Commons instead :p When I was house searching, I did a ton of research about all the different communities in Kanata area, and let me share with you why I chose this community (to get us all excited):
- Great builders, need I say more?
- One of the last undeveloped divisions in central Kanata area
- Well-designed master-planned community (see Fernbank Community Design Plan)
- Lots of important amenities nearby (Walter Baker Park, cheap grocery, expensive grocery, restaurants, highway, etc.)
- Future transit station nearby (Robert Grant is a designated artery with major transit route planned along it)
- Near future community core (see Fernbank Village Green, this is where the actions will be)
- One of the first communities planned within BBSS framework (see Ottawa Building Better and Smarter Suburbs), which calls for a more dense, walkable suburb (even calls for a dedicated bike lane on Abbott St. E. that I'm excited about)
- Future community/district parks and elementary school nearby

Right now it's a bunch of dirt but the development plans in this and surrounding areas look really good. Most of them are long-term, multi-year plans but I do plan to live here for the foreseeable future. There are many builders here and I hope they all execute well!

P.S. Yes I do think Richcraft/Urbandale could do a better job marketing this community, but I guess they won't market it too much until they build their sales office here, which I was told is coming this fall.
Old 2017-07-20, 07:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
Have we bashed Mattamy enough? If so, let's talk about Bradley Commons instead :p When I was house searching, I did a ton of research about all the different communities in Kanata area, and let me share with you why I chose this community (to get us all excited):
- Great builders, need I say more?
- One of the last undeveloped divisions in central Kanata area
- Well-designed master-planned community (see Fernbank Community Design Plan)
- Lots of important amenities nearby (Walter Baker Park, cheap grocery, expensive grocery, restaurants, highway, etc.)
- Future transit station nearby (Robert Grant is a designated artery with major transit route planned along it)
- Near future community core (see Fernbank Village Green, this is where the actions will be)
- One of the first communities planned within BBSS framework (see Ottawa Building Better and Smarter Suburbs), which calls for a more dense, walkable suburb (even calls for a dedicated bike lane on Abbott St. E. that I'm excited about)
- Future community/district parks and elementary school nearby

Right now it's a bunch of dirt but the development plans in this and surrounding areas look really good. Most of them are long-term, multi-year plans but I do plan to live here for the foreseeable future. There are many builders here and I hope they all execute well!

P.S. Yes I do think Richcraft/Urbandale could do a better job marketing this community, but I guess they won't market it too much until they build their sales office here, which I was told is coming this fall.
Good points but it's actually Stittsville and not Kanata
Old 2017-07-21, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swales View Post
Good points but it's actually Stittsville and not Kanata
Lol, I was about to type the same thing reading this list. Welcome to Stittsville East! And our local city representative won't let you forget it. Although we are in Blackstone and refuse to acknowledge that we are actually in Stittsville. Even Cardel calls Blackstone - Kanata South. It's the Stitts-stigma.
Old 2017-07-21, 08:12 PM

Hello,
Do you have any idea about Richcraft upgrade prices? E.g range hood or quartz countertops?
And yes, it is Stittsville.
Old 2017-07-21, 08:48 PM
Regular User

Haha wow passionate about Stittsville vs Kanata, aren't we? Yes I'm aware we're in ward 6 Stittsville, as is the entire Fernbank community. What I meant by central Kanata is that we're surrounded by Kanata to the west, north, and east of us, so to me it feels like in the middle of Kanata. Apologies for the misleading inaccuracy.
Old 2017-07-22, 07:42 PM

hi uki,
you are absolutely correct and I am on the same page with you.
I was very surprised when eQ homes sales agent told me that we should vote in Stittsville, because Fernbank is in Stittsville