Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-04-22, 09:48 PM
Regular User

Default real estate agent for new homes

Curious to know if anybody has used a real estate agent to help buy a new constructed home, instead of dealing with the builder directly. If so, is there any advantages in doing this?
Old 2019-04-23, 09:05 AM
Regular User

We did. There was no advantage for us when purchasing from the builder. We had a house to sell though, and the realtor reduced their commission rate for that sale because we had used them to purchase the new build. Thatís where the advantage came in. The realtor is also paid a small commission by the builder.
Old 2019-04-23, 09:12 AM
Regular User

We went alone to the builder and found it quite easy. Plus I wanted to deal directly with them rather than having a middle person.

If you deiced to go alone here are few tips:

Get a friend for a referral so you both get the bounce, usually 1K each
Read the agreement of purchase and sale carefully or send it to your lawyer before you sign.
Try to get the builder to provide you with more credit towards upgrades, I was able to get the agent commission in upgrades credit (You won't know unless you ask)

Good luck
Old 2019-04-23, 02:23 PM
Regular User

Chances are the agent won't get any commission for introducing you to the project and they won't be able to do anything for you in terms of discounts or upgrades in a sellers market like the one we're in. In order for the agent to qualify for the introduction you like literally need to have never registered for any of the builders community builds/releases (not just the one you're interested in checking out) or given your name/contact for any other purpose (ex. mailing lists). The rules are super overkill. This was the case like <2 years ago before the market heated up like it has.
Old 2019-05-01, 12:56 PM
Regular User

We used our Realtor to purchase both our new builds purely because the realtor was a close friend. Other than having the agent coming to meet us when we signed for the home, we didn't need them for anything else.
Old 2019-05-03, 09:05 AM
Regular User

We used our agent because he's a good friend and, why not, if you have that relationship- give 'em some "free" money. We get Home & Garden Show tickets and a beautiful wreathe every year so it was worth the very small hassle to coordinate our first trip to the sales center with him. (And when the lot we wanted was sold but opened up unexpectedly, he drove across town for us and put down a $500 deposit on our behalf.)

But if you have no existing relationship with someone, then the realtor's value could be from bringing up questions/offering advice you might not have considered before. About the location, builder, pricing, resale, comparables, that kind of thing.
Old 2019-06-22, 08:08 PM
Regular User

There is really no disadvantage in buying through a Realtor, other than the fact the Realtor might get pissed if they don't get the commission. Rules are strict like hjuandok suggested. If you are on the builder's mailing list, or if you have bought in recent years, chances are the Realtor will receive no commission. The rules are more strict for Minto and Richcraft, and more lax for Mattamy, HN, Urbandale, EQ.

The also isn't a whole lot of advantages, other than the fact you might be able to negotiate a commission rebate. I've started a Group Buy thread on this. The Realtor can ask more questions e.g. "Is the lot on flood plain", "Is there a green transformer box in front of the house", but if you are a frequent visitor of this forum, you'd be asking those questions anyways.
Old 2019-06-24, 09:14 AM
Regular User

I have heard that essentially the realtor brings you there and signs you over to the builder. they dont actually do anything for you. the purchasing process is the same for everyone whether you have a realtor or not, and you dont get anything out of it. i dont think builders negotiate price. not that i have ever seen, and certainly doubt they would in this market. the realtor might get a small commission for essentially doing nothing.
Old 2019-06-25, 12:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
I have heard that essentially the realtor brings you there and signs you over to the builder. they dont actually do anything for you. the purchasing process is the same for everyone whether you have a realtor or not, and you dont get anything out of it. i dont think builders negotiate price. not that i have ever seen, and certainly doubt they would in this market. the realtor might get a small commission for essentially doing nothing.
This is exactly it.
Old 2019-06-25, 08:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
You certainly don't need a realtor, however, if like me you'd signed with a realtor because you were also looking at re-sale, then bringing the realtor to the new home builder means you're not paying the penalty to your realtor (ugly contract). I hadn't found this site yet, so she was able to tell me about things like getting more window panes that open, making sure I got some of the building options you have to get initially. I got a free upgrade to more expensive exterior option and a little extra at design.