Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-28, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
You certainly don't need a realtor, however, if like me you'd signed with a realtor because you were also looking at re-sale, then bringing the realtor to the new home builder means you're not paying the penalty to your realtor (ugly contract). I hadn't found this site yet, so she was able to tell me about things like getting more window panes that open, making sure I got some of the building options you have to get initially. I got a free upgrade to more expensive exterior option and a little extra at design.
another reason to NOT sign a buyer's representation agreement with an agent (I refuse to use their trademarked term "Realtor")...
Old 2019-06-28, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
You certainly don't need a realtor, however, if like me you'd signed with a realtor because you were also looking at re-sale, then bringing the realtor to the new home builder means you're not paying the penalty to your realtor (ugly contract). I hadn't found this site yet, so she was able to tell me about things like getting more window panes that open, making sure I got some of the building options you have to get initially. I got a free upgrade to more expensive exterior option and a little extra at design.
I have never heard of a realtor charging a client a penalty for deciding to go with a new build. Ours sure as heck didnt and we didnt even get him the commission from the builder because we went to the sales centre on our own first. I am shocked to hear that a realtor would do that . Considering not all builders even give a commission, why should you penalized for chosing a new build? I would never work with that realtor again.
Old 2019-07-01, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reens09 View Post
I have never heard of a realtor charging a client a penalty for deciding to go with a new build. Ours sure as heck didnt and we didnt even get him the commission from the builder because we went to the sales centre on our own first. I am shocked to hear that a realtor would do that . Considering not all builders even give a commission, why should you penalized for chosing a new build? I would never work with that realtor again.
It was the CREA standard agreement and I'm guessing it is to ensure that the real estate agent who has shown you 50 properties gets something should you decide to buy a new build. I wasn't thrilled with it and I'm not sure how often they enforce it, but it is in the fine print.
Old 2019-07-01, 04:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
It was the CREA standard agreement and I'm guessing it is to ensure that the real estate agent who has shown you 50 properties gets something should you decide to buy a new build. I wasn't thrilled with it and I'm not sure how often they enforce it, but it is in the fine print.
Interesting..i guess youre right not everyone enforces it. That will make me think twice before signing with a realtor again. Not ending up making a deal is part of their business. I cant believe theyd penalize their client.

I mean one could also just wait until their agreement expires if theyre not in a rush with the builder. Our past realtor agreements have typically been 3 months.
Old 2019-07-03, 10:53 AM
Regular User

We used a Realtor for our new home because they were a close friend, and it was essentially free money for them.

Occasionally they can discount their service if you decide to list your home with them as well.
Old 2019-07-03, 01:32 PM
Regular User

I have a realtor that I use and he shares the commission with me.