Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-17, 11:35 AM

Default Experiences with EQ Homes & Findlay Creek?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I've tried searching for threads relating to experiences dealing with EQ Homes, but it seems the forums are pretty bare on that. We're looking at purchasing a single family home in Findlay Creek, and EQ Homes is high on our list right now just based on the particular model we're looking at and based on our interactions with their sales and design center people, who have been great so far.

Has anyone here purchased a house with EQ Homes, and if so, what was your experience with them like? Ideally looking for examples from Findlay Creek, but any feedback about them would be appreciated.

More broadly: people living in Findlay Creek, what has your experience been like in that community? If you take public transit downtown, what's it like? Anything you feel the community is missing right now that would improve your quality of life? Any issues with homes in that area being built adjacent to protected wetlands (e.g. foundation issues)?
Old 2019-06-21, 11:42 PM
Regular User

EQ Homes has always been top notch with build quality and service.

Not sure about how it is living in Findlay Creek as I don't live there, however I do know there is a park-and-ride and express bus. LRT Stage 2 is going there, so it's gonna be more convenient in a few years.
Old 2019-06-24, 08:58 AM
Regular User

I feel strongly that EQ is not high quality, but i'll not knock your decisions or the decisions of others.

With regards to Findlay Creek in general, bank street (some of it) was recently widened to 2 lanes per side, which is nice, but really necessary with Cowan's Grove and Pathways going in. The downside until LRT is in is traffic. You're basically stuck with one exit route - Bank Street - which is unbelievably congested in the morning. You can do run-about routes to Limebank or St.Laurent, but many others do that. The community itself is awesome - has many parks, and has most of what you need within walking distance. I'd recommend the community, but never EQ homes -- see if Richcraft has anything in the "Pathways" section of Findlay Creek.

Last edited by JCC; 2019-06-24 at 11:21 AM.
Old 2019-06-24, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input from both of you.

I had a chance this weekend to speak with a couple of people who recently closed on their EQ Home in Findlay Creek and they were overall satisfied with the result and the process. JCC, I'm curious: what experience do you have personally with EQ that gives you the opinion that they are not a quality builder? I honestly can't find much about them online, and what little I can find seems to lean positively.

The traffic situation in FC is going to be a problem for a few more years, definitely. Thankfully, I work in Barrhaven, but the other half works downtown. We're still keeping our options open for other neighbourhoods/builders too. Please keep sharing your feedback!

Also, we did look at Richcraft in Findlay Creek. There was a model in particular that we did really like, but it had a few small compromises compared to EQ in terms of the design, and it was more expensive. What really turned us away from them was our interaction with the people at the sales centre. They were very friendly and welcoming, but I did not get the sense that they knew what they were doing. We asked a few fairly simple questions and couldn't get a straight answer out of them for anything. They just overall seemed rather disorganized, which isn't reassuring when you're about to drop over half a million dollars on a house. EQ's sales folks seemed a lot more 'with it' and have been excellent at answering our questions.

Last edited by PhReaK; 2019-06-24 at 04:29 PM.
Old 2019-06-25, 04:46 AM

I totally agree with you. Awesome community is needed when choosing a place to live in. Just saying.
Old 2019-06-25, 09:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhReaK View Post
Thanks for the input from both of you.

I had a chance this weekend to speak with a couple of people who recently closed on their EQ Home in Findlay Creek and they were overall satisfied with the result and the process. JCC, I'm curious: what experience do you have personally with EQ that gives you the opinion that they are not a quality builder? I honestly can't find much about them online, and what little I can find seems to lean positively.

The traffic situation in FC is going to be a problem for a few more years, definitely. Thankfully, I work in Barrhaven, but the other half works downtown. We're still keeping our options open for other neighbourhoods/builders too. Please keep sharing your feedback!

Also, we did look at Richcraft in Findlay Creek. There was a model in particular that we did really like, but it had a few small compromises compared to EQ in terms of the design, and it was more expensive. What really turned us away from them was our interaction with the people at the sales centre. They were very friendly and welcoming, but I did not get the sense that they knew what they were doing. We asked a few fairly simple questions and couldn't get a straight answer out of them for anything. They just overall seemed rather disorganized, which isn't reassuring when you're about to drop over half a million dollars on a house. EQ's sales folks seemed a lot more 'with it' and have been excellent at answering our questions.
What's funny is we had a quite similar experience with the people at the sales centre at Richcraft. Friendly and welcoming, but also kind of pushy and unknown. You really have to get the right people there - apparently one of the sales reps has been selling for Richcraft for 25+ years...

I've not directly had a negative experience with EQ homes, but I have friends who have. One of my friends in particular, him and his now wife have purchased a combined 5-6 new builds (2x urbandale, 1x richcraft, 1x EQ, 1x Minto, maybe 1 more), and their worst experience by far was EQ. Tons of warranty claims, having to fight tooth and nail to get their claims dealt with, problems with no communication from them, etc.

We did a lot of shopping around and research before building our Urbandale home, and when we went through some of the EQ models, we found them to have cheap finishes, be poorly constructed, and be all wow factor. It's kind of sad when your one-year old model has paint peeling, shingles falling off, and finishes already breaking.

Plus, what I find REALLY shady about EQ is that they create a new Tarion profile for each of their communities, so technically they cannot have the claims tied back to the company. If you're able to find the Tarion profiles for their individual developments, you will find they have unpaid warranty claims, complaints against them, etc., while their main profile does not.
Old 2019-06-25, 01:01 PM
Regular User

Hi JCC,

We bought an EQ Homes and it is currently being built, so I was curious.
I just did a search on Tarion to have a look at what you had mentioned.
Yes they do create a separate profile for each community, (in our case its Riverlands of Rockland Inc. for the Clarence Rockland community) however it seems to all be tied to the same umbrella Company which in this case is the Regional Group.
On the Tarion site I didn't find any such claims you were mentioning.
They've had 810 total possessions and only 10 chargeable conciliations.(none since 2016.)

Our experience has been great so far with them.

https://www.tarion.com/ontariobuilde...rella/12265680
Old 2019-06-25, 03:36 PM
Regular User

https://www.tarion.com/ontariobuilde.../profile/36383

The Tarion score card is not that useful regarding build quality. Things get resolved or the homeowner gives up. They dont make it to the formal hearing.

A count of conciliation requests submitted would be useful, but that is considered biased toward the builder.

Another distortion is that people dont know how this works. The CPGs are not that helpful.

Also people dont to go public with builder complaints. They dont want the area to get a rep for bad houses to a point that people dont buy there. There are also threats from builder's lawyers.

There is no good information available the allows you to, with certainty, avoid a world of hurt and frustration dealing with a new home builder.

Last edited by good2know; 2019-06-25 at 05:27 PM.
Old 2019-06-25, 04:45 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Tons of warranty claims, having to fight tooth and nail to get their claims dealt with, problems with no communication from them, etc.
Everyone uses the same trades, so if they had site foreman who did their job, it wouldn't matter that their warranty department is complete trash.

Last edited by stittsville resident; 2019-06-25 at 04:47 PM.