Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-07-01, 11:06 AM

Default Ban on doorknobs and visual fire alarms

I was just at my cousins newly built place in Newmarket and was told that doorknobs are no longer allowed in new construction and the Ontario code states that lever type handles need to put in place instead. Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?
Old 2019-07-01, 12:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpDina View Post
Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, our 2016 build was required to have the visual smoke detectors.

No idea about the round doorknobs but I'm not sure why building code would care one way or the other?
Old 2019-07-01, 08:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpDina View Post
I was just at my cousins newly built place in Newmarket and was told that doorknobs are no longer allowed in new construction and the Ontario code states that lever type handles need to put in place instead. Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?

It would be great if lever doorknobs are enforced cuz I prefer them. Levers are considered an upgrade and I guess I would have to pay extra for them
Old 2019-07-01, 11:17 PM
Regular User

Interesting, I have noticed that recently all new builds seem to come with the levers by default (even "cheaper" builders like Mattamy that I assumed go for the very basic of everything). I thought the builders were just being nice to provide this minor upgrade to buyer for free (lol) but it makes more sense if this is being enforced by building code.

It kind of makes sense to me if it's considered a safety feature as many little kids have trouble opening round doorknobs, so I guess it's to minimize having people trapped inside rooms?

Edit: the only thing I could find is this: https://www.canadianconsultingengine...es/1003399452/

According to that, multiple new requirements including lever door handles are now mandatory for buildings for accessibility reasons to help people with disabilities, however it also notably states that houses are not affected except for the visual smoke alarm requirement (I assume only non-residential buildings have to follow it). Then again, this article is from 2015 so perhaps they have been updated since then to include residential houses as well. Or builders decided to follow these rules for new builds just in case (maybe they don't want to be accused of discriminating against people with disabilities?).

Last edited by jk9088; 2019-07-01 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2019-07-08, 07:37 AM
Regular User

These new rules are in place because deaf people can not hear alarms but they and everyone else can see a bright flashing strobe light. Lever door handles are now required because many people, kids and people with arthritic hands for example, have a hard time opening round door knobs.
Old 2019-07-08, 09:00 AM

Slightly-above-average-intelligence pets also have an easier time opening lever-type door handles.

Don't ask me how I know that.
Old 2019-07-10, 09:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
These new rules are in place because deaf people can not hear alarms but they and everyone else can see a bright flashing strobe light. Lever door handles are now required because many people, kids and people with arthritic hands for example, have a hard time opening round door knobs.
Is the lever door handles a city bylaw or Tarion? We're taking possession of our home in August and it's all knobs throughout.
Old 2019-07-10, 10:50 AM
Regular User

I believe builders only have to follow the building code that was in effect at the time they submitted the plans for the houses (or something like that). So it's quite common for new build houses not to follow everything from the very newest update at the time of closing. Not sure about this case though, doesn't hurt to check.
Old 2019-07-10, 11:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk9088 View Post
I believe builders only have to follow the building code that was in effect at the time they submitted the plans for the houses (or something like that). So it's quite common for new build houses not to follow everything from the very newest update at the time of closing. Not sure about this case though, doesn't hurt to check.
That's exactly right.
Old 2019-07-10, 11:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
Is the lever door handles a city bylaw or Tarion? We're taking possession of our home in August and it's all knobs throughout.
No. Building code rules will always supersede / trump Tarion rules.