Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2019-07-01, 11:06 AM
DarpDina DarpDina is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5
Default Ban on doorknobs and visual fire alarms

I was just at my cousins newly built place in Newmarket and was told that doorknobs are no longer allowed in new construction and the Ontario code states that lever type handles need to put in place instead. Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2019-07-01, 12:10 PM
Sarah2012 Sarah2012 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpDina View Post
Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, our 2016 build was required to have the visual smoke detectors.

No idea about the round doorknobs but I'm not sure why building code would care one way or the other?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2019-07-01, 08:55 PM
emma008 emma008 is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpDina View Post
I was just at my cousins newly built place in Newmarket and was told that doorknobs are no longer allowed in new construction and the Ontario code states that lever type handles need to put in place instead. Also, new regulation states that fire alarms need to have a visual light that goes off with the blaring alarm. Iím wondering if this is true? I couldnít find anything online about it other than for Vancouver. Can anyone confirm?

It would be great if lever doorknobs are enforced cuz I prefer them. Levers are considered an upgrade and I guess I would have to pay extra for them
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2019-07-01, 11:17 PM
jk9088 jk9088 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 45
Default

Interesting, I have noticed that recently all new builds seem to come with the levers by default (even "cheaper" builders like Mattamy that I assumed go for the very basic of everything). I thought the builders were just being nice to provide this minor upgrade to buyer for free (lol) but it makes more sense if this is being enforced by building code.

It kind of makes sense to me if it's considered a safety feature as many little kids have trouble opening round doorknobs, so I guess it's to minimize having people trapped inside rooms?

Edit: the only thing I could find is this: https://www.canadianconsultingengine...es/1003399452/

According to that, multiple new requirements including lever door handles are now mandatory for buildings for accessibility reasons to help people with disabilities, however it also notably states that houses are not affected except for the visual smoke alarm requirement (I assume only non-residential buildings have to follow it). Then again, this article is from 2015 so perhaps they have been updated since then to include residential houses as well. Or builders decided to follow these rules for new builds just in case (maybe they don't want to be accused of discriminating against people with disabilities?).
__________________
PM me if you're buying a new home with Phoenix or Caivan and would like a referral for builder bonus!

Last edited by jk9088; 2019-07-01 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2019-07-08, 07:37 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 683
Default

These new rules are in place because deaf people can not hear alarms but they and everyone else can see a bright flashing strobe light. Lever door handles are now required because many people, kids and people with arthritic hands for example, have a hard time opening round door knobs.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2019-07-08, 09:00 AM
bpsmicro bpsmicro is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default

Slightly-above-average-intelligence pets also have an easier time opening lever-type door handles.

Don't ask me how I know that.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2019-07-10, 09:19 AM
BiteSizeThumb BiteSizeThumb is offline
Junior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halton Home Inspector View Post
These new rules are in place because deaf people can not hear alarms but they and everyone else can see a bright flashing strobe light. Lever door handles are now required because many people, kids and people with arthritic hands for example, have a hard time opening round door knobs.
Is the lever door handles a city bylaw or Tarion? We're taking possession of our home in August and it's all knobs throughout.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2019-07-10, 10:50 AM
jk9088 jk9088 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 45
Default

I believe builders only have to follow the building code that was in effect at the time they submitted the plans for the houses (or something like that). So it's quite common for new build houses not to follow everything from the very newest update at the time of closing. Not sure about this case though, doesn't hurt to check.
__________________
PM me if you're buying a new home with Phoenix or Caivan and would like a referral for builder bonus!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2019-07-10, 11:37 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk9088 View Post
I believe builders only have to follow the building code that was in effect at the time they submitted the plans for the houses (or something like that). So it's quite common for new build houses not to follow everything from the very newest update at the time of closing. Not sure about this case though, doesn't hurt to check.
That's exactly right.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2019-07-10, 11:38 AM
Halton Home Inspector Halton Home Inspector is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Milton
Posts: 683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
Is the lever door handles a city bylaw or Tarion? We're taking possession of our home in August and it's all knobs throughout.
No. Building code rules will always supersede / trump Tarion rules.
__________________
For the new home warranty inspection services you need and deserve call Andy Shaw at 905 876 4761
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mattamy - First alert interconnected fire alarms suezuki650 Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance 11 2019-02-11 09:54 AM
Backyard fire-pit, fire-bowl jdhillon Burlington 1 2010-04-14 09:36 AM
Fire alarms & insulation in the basement AMOS1409 Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and WheleríS Mill 6 2006-10-12 09:02 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.