Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-07-09, 11:00 AM
Regular User

Default Does my property have a back-water valve and how to find out?

Insurance questionnnaire: Do you have a backwater valve on your sewer line?

I bought the home from previous owner and not builder. Is this builder or city installed? I might just answer no in case and pay the couple of dollars extra but it would be nice to know.
Old 2019-07-09, 02:54 PM
Regular User

What year is the house? In Ottawa, storm water backwater valves were mandatory since 2004, and sanitary backwater valves since 2012. They’re typically located next to the main storm and sanitary cleanouts in the basement.
Old 2019-07-09, 04:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE2019 View Post
What year is the house? In Ottawa, storm water backwater valves were mandatory since 2004, and sanitary backwater valves since 2012. They’re typically located next to the main storm and sanitary cleanouts in the basement.
2011 in Rockland. That would probably explain why it defaults to yes.
Old 2019-07-09, 07:55 PM
Regular User

Next to your water meter in the basement, there should be a wider drain and you can take the top off. If the inside looks like the top of this, then you probably have a backwater valve.

I recall my builder using a 2 x 4 as a screwdriver and opening it up to show me.

Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2019-07-09, 09:18 PM
Regular User

In my area most of the backwater valves are more complex then the one shown in the post above but, regardless of the type of valve most of the time the access covers are covered or partially covered with cement when the house is built, specifically when the basement floor is poured. The access covers should be easy to open and close and at least once a year should be checked. Checking them does not need to be a nasty task. Just open it and have someone flush the powder room toilet.