Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2017-02-26, 11:34 PM
Regular User

Default plumbing for the basement laundry tub

I use my laundry tub in the basement to clean my wine making items including a bottle washer that attaches to the spout. At my old place all was fine as the faucet was securely attached to the sink and had metal pipes. All very solid.

In my new house, the pipes are plex which is flexible and the faucet is attached to a piece of metal attached to the plastic tub but not to the wall (about 3-4 inches from the wall). If I try to use my bottle washer on this, the faucet bends towards the drain. I'm afraid that the plex will let go and I'll have water everywhere.

I have no shut off valves on this fixture and I want it more solid. Is this something I'd ask a plumber about, or ???
Old 2017-02-27, 08:04 AM
Regular User

Are there some reasons it won't sit flush against wall? I like to put a painted plywood panel on the wall and fasten the tub and supply lines to that.
Old 2017-02-27, 10:58 AM
Regular User

The tub is attached to a chunk of 2x4 on the wall, but the faucet sits more forward than that. One of my ideas was to take a chunk of 2x4 and shave it down so it fits between the 2x4 on the wall and the metal flange that the faucet is attached to. I could secure the metal flange to that piece of wood and that would help. The faucet would still only be attached to the flange with one screw.
Old 2017-02-27, 01:14 PM
Regular User

The supply lines should be fastened to blocking a foot or so above the tap. Is that missing?
Old 2017-02-27, 01:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
The supply lines should be fastened to blocking a foot or so above the tap. Is that missing?
They are fastened to a block above the tap, about 2 feet I think, though I'd have to measure. The plex can move up and down through the fastener though, it's just a loop tacked to a board.
Old 2017-02-27, 06:53 PM
Regular User

I have the same issue with my basement sink. The faucet is attached to the top of the very flimsy plastic tub so there is a lot of flex.

You could detach your faucet from the tub and attach a 2x3 to the 2x4 on your wall or block. The re-attach the faucet to the 2x3 instead.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2017-02-27, 10:25 PM
Regular User

Here are two photos that show the current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	848.8 KB
ID:	13804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	13805  
Old 2017-02-27, 10:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I have the same issue with my basement sink. The faucet is attached to the top of the very flimsy plastic tub so there is a lot of flex.

You could detach your faucet from the tub and attach a 2x3 to the 2x4 on your wall or block. The re-attach the faucet to the 2x3 instead.
That might be a solution. I'd like shut off valves at some point as well but your solution would be a quick fix.
Old 2017-02-27, 10:57 PM
Regular User

Your lucky. My laundry tub and pipes are not secured down in anyway, I have insulation instead of a bare wall. I just used no nails glue and glued down the laundry tub feet. I also use a gardena clip-on the faucet for easy removal of hoses I use.
Moved In: April 10th 2010