Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2017-09-24, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Default Basement ceiling - what to do?

Hey all, what do people do nowadays with their ceilings when finishing a basement? When temperature is not priority, ive heard people just add resileint channeling for sound and drywall over. Is that sufficient for nose reduction or does the insulation in there make THAT much of a difference? Always wondered what was worth it and what wasn't. Any thoughts or personal experiences would be great.

Thanks!
Old 2017-09-24, 12:27 PM
Regular User

I've just finished my ceiling a few months ago and drywalled everything for a clean look. I also used Acousti-PL for sound deadening and adhesion for the panels - it's a PITA to use though and once it gets on you or the ground or anything, it makes the job much tougher so take your time and get an even bead if you decide to use it. I also installed safe and sound insulation in most of the basement (where the TV and in-ceiling/wall speakers are) but not in the rest of the basement - it's also a PITA to cut around duct work, pex lines and everything else up there. I can't tell you if we notice a difference yet since we've yet to use the basement (finishing the project this weekend and then we need to get furniture, etc.) but we're happy with the route we took even though it costed us a few extra dollars...was worth it to us knowing we didn't skimp on materials.